Every year when we start working in the garden, Chuck says I need a new handle for my hoe. It might be a little wobbly, but it's not happening.
You see, it belonged to my grandfather. Pop grew up in a make-do generation.
Every time I see the electrical tape and the bent nails it reminds me of him. Pop grew up on a farm during the Great Depression. He was a newly married man, farming his own piece of land during World War II.
He and my grandmother never talked about living a frugal life. It was ingrained in the way they had always lived. Growing up I never realized how much I was learning from Mom and Pop. It's a great reminder that it's not about what we say, it's about what we do that makes the biggest impact.
I imagine Chuck will still comment on my hoe each year and I will smile, and keep using my hoe as is as I cherish my memories of Pop.
Wendi


Wendi, this post is beautiful. I absolutely love that you have your grandfather's hoe and that you still use it. What a wonderful memory!
ReplyDeleteOh, I wouldn’t get rid of that either! What a treasure that is, a very special keepsake.
ReplyDeleteWhat a keepsake. Wow! Beautiful post.
ReplyDeleteMy family was total opposite, Lots of debt and not mindful with spending. I think that is why I am so frugal. I hope my son learns from me like you did from your family!
ReplyDeleteThis is so precious. What a wonderful story behind the hoe. Those lessons of making do from previous generations are inspiring. That hoe is certainly a living lesson of days gone by, and a treasure.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely memory of your pop to have his hoe! Oh, happy late anniversary!
ReplyDelete