Hello there! One day last summer I picked up a notebook and started writing. I have always had a dream of writing a book. Now, I don't think anything will come of it as writing a complete book much less publishing it can be a challenge. It came to mind last week and I have been contemplating sharing it on my little space on the web. So, without further ado this is the beginning....
Chapter 1
Margaret slipped out from beneath the warm covers and
thought how wonderful it felt to sleep in a comfortable bed. Those days on the
train had really worn on her. Pushing thoughts of the past away she quickly
dressed and pulled her hair up. She prayed that she would have the strength to
face this day and that what she was about to do was God’s will for her life. One
last look in the mirror and she grabbed her apron before working her way to the
kitchen.
Directly across from the little room was the water closet.
She was still amazed that this little house, in the middle of nowhere, had a
water closet! She had thoughts of slipping in there to wash the rest of the
dust off. No time for that now so she made her way to the kitchen to prepare
breakfast.
Walking though a cozy, comfortable living room she made her
way to the kitchen. Well, it certainly wasn’t the kitchen she had at home.
Home, now where did that come from? Nothing about the place she lived before
really felt like a home. Shaking those thoughts away, Maggie, took in the
kitchen.
It was painted a pretty shade of yellow and she was
surprised to see the details. A cook top, sink with running water and even an
icebox were in sight. Although a small space there were upper and lower
cabinets and workable counter space. A nice table sat in the kitchen and there
was a china cabinet in the corner. Before she could take in more there was a
click of the door and there he stood. He sat a basket containing eggs on the
counter and they sized each other up for a moment.
Maggie was still in shock that all of this had happened so
quickly. Here she stood in an unfamiliar kitchen, in a new state, with a
strange man that would soon be her husband. After what seemed like an entirety of silence
Maggie found her manners. “Good Morning, George. I see that coffee is already made,
I apologize that I wasn’t up earlier.”
Maggie couldn’t help but to feel at ease with this
admission. She smiled. “I might be a little nervous myself.” After a nervous
chuckle she added.” Margaret is my given name after my paternal grandmother. My
uncle insisted I use my formal name, but my parents called me Maggie.”
“Maggie it will be then!” George said with a smile. Maggie, yes Maggie! That name just seemed to
fit. “I don’t know about you, but I could use a little something to settle my
stomach this morning. I could make us some toast and maybe scramble an egg?”
After the initial shock of a man offering to cook Maggie
managed to say “I think I can manage to make scrambled eggs and toast. I will
just look around a little and then I should be fine.”
“Then I won’t be underfoot. I will go have some quiet time
with the Lord while you get familiar with your kitchen. Let me know if you need
anything”
Wow, my kitchen, quiet time with the Lord. Who was this man?
George spoke of the Lord in the three letters they had exchanged. I wasn’t sure
what to think of that. Uncle Gregory had taken us to church each Sunday and sat
us up front so we could be seen. Sunday service seemed to be the only time
Uncle Gregory spent with the Lord. Maggie wondered if even then. Maggie this is
your new life stop thinking about your past. You have breakfast to make and
then you will be getting married!
George said grace and then dug into his scrambled eggs,
toast and sausage patties. He thanked Maggie for the meal and as he was rising
they heard someone on the back porch. “That is probably the neighbor, Betty
Peterson.”
Before Maggie could respond there was a sharp knock on the door.
As it opened a tall, slender lady with silver hair breezed in. “Good Morning,
George. I know that the wedding isn’t until three, but I couldn’t wait to meet
your bride to be and offer my assistance.” She then turned to Maggie and kept
talking without missing a beat. “Oh, good, I see you found the bread and
sausage I dropped off yesterday. I know that our George keeps a nice supply of
staples but he isn’t very good about planning for the day to day. I have been
telling my Jake for years that George needs a good woman to look after him.”
Betty paused for a moment. “Oh, goodness, where are my manners! I am Betty.
Betty Peterson and I am your closest neighbor. I live just over the hill to the
west.”
“I am pleased to meet you Mrs. Peterson. I am Maggie McPherson.
”
“Goodness, we are going to be close so I insist that you
call me Betty. Now George, I imagine that you have things to do and I know that
Maggie and I have a heap of things to do. Now run along. Your suit is pressed
and waiting for you at my place. I left sandwiches for you and Jake for lunch
and I won’t see you in here any earlier then two -thirty. Now scoot!”
There was no doubt that Mrs. Peterson, Betty, was a force to
be reckoned with and I immediately liked her.
Okay, friends, I know that it is rough. I want you honest opinion. Is this something you enjoyed? Something you would like to be continued? Like I said I want honest feedback.

Hi Wendy!
ReplyDeleteHonestly, the way it was written, reminded me of the Little house on the prairie books (I have the portuguese version!). I love to read them and as I was reading your text, I felt that I could see the kitchen, George eating the scrambled eggs...
I hope you continue to write.
I also write and I published my book online at https://www.smashwords.com
It's free and easy to use.
I have my book in paper published here in Portugal, but as an ebook, it can reach the entire world!
Hope you and your family have a great weekend!
:)
I love it, Wendi! So glad you're taking the leap.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your writing very much and am looking forward to the next posting of it.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing great. It takes courage to take the plunge and put your work out for the public read.
Good job! I could envision the whole setting...keep it up!
ReplyDeleteI'm excited to read the next chapter.
ReplyDeleteI for one found it wonderful... Love the mail order brides book some of my very favorites! You got me interested right away. Cozy and sweet and about God and how he is working! You Go Girl!
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Roxy
Yes! I love the characters already. I want to know what's next!
ReplyDeleteGod bless,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
Yes! I love the characters already. I want to know what's next!
ReplyDeleteGod bless,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
I love what you have written so far. :) I want to read more now!
ReplyDeleteDear Wendi,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your writing so much.
It is so cosy and comforting if one might say that about writing.
I certainly want to know what is coming next...
I loved it! It leaves your readers wanting more and that is a good thing :)
ReplyDeleteYes, I enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to more!
Yes! I want to know what happens next! I really did enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteYou've piqued my interest. I think you did a great job of describing some things fully and letting the reader's imagination fill in the gaps on other details. Keep writing!
ReplyDeleteI am a avid reader so I read a lot of books by many authors. I immediately got interested your book, I was so sorry when it ended. You were able to describe Maggie's surroundings enough I could picture it in my mind. Please share some more !!
ReplyDeleteWendi, it's good! I can't wait to read more. I agree that you did a good job describing the surroundings.
ReplyDeleteI loved it! When do you plan on posting the next chapter?
ReplyDeleteMy hope is to post a chapter each Friday. The chapter for this week is ready to go!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteYes! It's amazing, I'm looking forward to reading your next chapter!
ReplyDeleteYou go girl! :)
Happy Mother's Day Wendi!
Hugs, Amy
I just found your blog at God's Grace overflows. This is very good! It makes me want to read more...
ReplyDeleteGod Bless
Mrs.O
This is excellent Wendi! You started right off with an unusual situation, and my interest is piqued, and I want to know more.. I'll be reading the next chapter next, since I'm a bit behind already!
ReplyDelete