Friday, May 05, 2017

Joy in the Everyday: Chapter 1


Hello there! One day last summer I picked up a notebook and started writing. I have always had a dream of writing a book. Now, I don't think anything will come of it as writing a complete book much less publishing it can be a challenge. It came to mind last week and I have been contemplating sharing it on my little space on the web. So, without further ado this is the beginning....
 
Chapter 1
 

Margaret slipped out from beneath the warm covers and thought how wonderful it felt to sleep in a comfortable bed. Those days on the train had really worn on her. Pushing thoughts of the past away she quickly dressed and pulled her hair up. She prayed that she would have the strength to face this day and that what she was about to do was God’s will for her life. One last look in the mirror and she grabbed her apron before working her way to the kitchen.

 Although it was still dark, dawn was coming and there was enough light to take in her surroundings. She noticed a room to the right with a small bed, dresser and desk. Taking in the white curtains with the eyelet lace she thought how pretty.  She turned to move down the small hall and found there was another room on the left. One wall was filled with cabinets and there was a small writing nook and what she hoped was a sewing area. Not a large room, but pleasant with the large window. Oh, how Maggie loved for the sunshine to flood a home!

Directly across from the little room was the water closet. She was still amazed that this little house, in the middle of nowhere, had a water closet! She had thoughts of slipping in there to wash the rest of the dust off. No time for that now so she made her way to the kitchen to prepare breakfast.

Walking though a cozy, comfortable living room she made her way to the kitchen. Well, it certainly wasn’t the kitchen she had at home. Home, now where did that come from? Nothing about the place she lived before really felt like a home. Shaking those thoughts away, Maggie, took in the kitchen.

It was painted a pretty shade of yellow and she was surprised to see the details. A cook top, sink with running water and even an icebox were in sight. Although a small space there were upper and lower cabinets and workable counter space. A nice table sat in the kitchen and there was a china cabinet in the corner. Before she could take in more there was a click of the door and there he stood. He sat a basket containing eggs on the counter and they sized each other up for a moment.

Maggie was still in shock that all of this had happened so quickly. Here she stood in an unfamiliar kitchen, in a new state, with a strange man that would soon be her husband.  After what seemed like an entirety of silence Maggie found her manners. “Good Morning, George. I see that coffee is already made, I apologize that I wasn’t up earlier.”

 George couldn’t help but stare. Margaret wasn’t at all what he had expected. She was much shorter and a little plumper then he had imagined. He wasn’t put off in the least when he picked her up yesterday evening.  A little surprised is all. He found her smile nice and even if they hadn’t spoken much on the ride in it wasn’t an uncomfortable silence.  “Mornin’ Margaret,” It felt strange to call her by her formal name, but she had called him by his given name. Since they were to be married in a few short hours there was no sense in being formal. “No need to apologize. I figured you would be tired from the trip and would need some extra rest. Honestly, I am up a little earlier then normal.” George smiled and then added “It might be nerves.”

Maggie couldn’t help but to feel at ease with this admission. She smiled. “I might be a little nervous myself.” After a nervous chuckle she added.” Margaret is my given name after my paternal grandmother. My uncle insisted I use my formal name, but my parents called me Maggie.”

“Maggie it will be then!” George said with a smile.  Maggie, yes Maggie! That name just seemed to fit. “I don’t know about you, but I could use a little something to settle my stomach this morning. I could make us some toast and maybe scramble an egg?”

After the initial shock of a man offering to cook Maggie managed to say “I think I can manage to make scrambled eggs and toast. I will just look around a little and then I should be fine.”

“Then I won’t be underfoot. I will go have some quiet time with the Lord while you get familiar with your kitchen. Let me know if you need anything”

Wow, my kitchen, quiet time with the Lord. Who was this man? George spoke of the Lord in the three letters they had exchanged. I wasn’t sure what to think of that. Uncle Gregory had taken us to church each Sunday and sat us up front so we could be seen. Sunday service seemed to be the only time Uncle Gregory spent with the Lord. Maggie wondered if even then. Maggie this is your new life stop thinking about your past. You have breakfast to make and then you will be getting married!

George said grace and then dug into his scrambled eggs, toast and sausage patties. He thanked Maggie for the meal and as he was rising they heard someone on the back porch. “That is probably the neighbor, Betty Peterson.”

Before Maggie could respond there was a sharp knock on the door. As it opened a tall, slender lady with silver hair breezed in. “Good Morning, George. I know that the wedding isn’t until three, but I couldn’t wait to meet your bride to be and offer my assistance.” She then turned to Maggie and kept talking without missing a beat. “Oh, good, I see you found the bread and sausage I dropped off yesterday. I know that our George keeps a nice supply of staples but he isn’t very good about planning for the day to day. I have been telling my Jake for years that George needs a good woman to look after him.” Betty paused for a moment. “Oh, goodness, where are my manners! I am Betty. Betty Peterson and I am your closest neighbor. I live just over the hill to the west.”

“I am pleased to meet you Mrs. Peterson. I am Maggie McPherson. ”
“Goodness, we are going to be close so I insist that you call me Betty. Now George, I imagine that you have things to do and I know that Maggie and I have a heap of things to do. Now run along. Your suit is pressed and waiting for you at my place. I left sandwiches for you and Jake for lunch and I won’t see you in here any earlier then two -thirty. Now scoot!”

There was no doubt that Mrs. Peterson, Betty, was a force to be reckoned with and I immediately liked her.



Okay, friends, I know that it is rough. I want you honest opinion. Is this something you enjoyed? Something you would like to be continued? Like I said I want honest feedback.
 

22 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy!
    Honestly, the way it was written, reminded me of the Little house on the prairie books (I have the portuguese version!). I love to read them and as I was reading your text, I felt that I could see the kitchen, George eating the scrambled eggs...
    I hope you continue to write.
    I also write and I published my book online at https://www.smashwords.com
    It's free and easy to use.
    I have my book in paper published here in Portugal, but as an ebook, it can reach the entire world!
    Hope you and your family have a great weekend!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Wendi! So glad you're taking the leap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your writing very much and am looking forward to the next posting of it.

    You are doing great. It takes courage to take the plunge and put your work out for the public read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job! I could envision the whole setting...keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited to read the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I for one found it wonderful... Love the mail order brides book some of my very favorites! You got me interested right away. Cozy and sweet and about God and how he is working! You Go Girl!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I love the characters already. I want to know what's next!
    God bless,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I love the characters already. I want to know what's next!
    God bless,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you have written so far. :) I want to read more now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Wendi,
    I enjoyed your writing so much.
    It is so cosy and comforting if one might say that about writing.
    I certainly want to know what is coming next...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved it! It leaves your readers wanting more and that is a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I enjoyed it!
    Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! I want to know what happens next! I really did enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've piqued my interest. I think you did a great job of describing some things fully and letting the reader's imagination fill in the gaps on other details. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a avid reader so I read a lot of books by many authors. I immediately got interested your book, I was so sorry when it ended. You were able to describe Maggie's surroundings enough I could picture it in my mind. Please share some more !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wendi, it's good! I can't wait to read more. I agree that you did a good job describing the surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved it! When do you plan on posting the next chapter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hope is to post a chapter each Friday. The chapter for this week is ready to go!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  18. Yes! It's amazing, I'm looking forward to reading your next chapter!
    You go girl! :)

    Happy Mother's Day Wendi!

    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just found your blog at God's Grace overflows. This is very good! It makes me want to read more...
    God Bless
    Mrs.O

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is excellent Wendi! You started right off with an unusual situation, and my interest is piqued, and I want to know more.. I'll be reading the next chapter next, since I'm a bit behind already!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!