Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Maggie quickly dressed and stared into the mirror. It was
hard to believe she was looking at the same girl that boarded a train four days ago. Betty was right my hair did look nice. Did I dare? I reached into the
little elastic compartment on the lid of my suitcase and pulled out a lipstick.
My thoughts instantly went to Sarah, my childhood friend, who gave me strength
and peace in the mist of a miserable childhood.
Oh, how I missed her! She tucked this into my hand as she hugged me and
whispered that I should wear it when I married George. I am not a make up
wearing girl and had immediately stuffed it into my suitcase. I opened it and
saw that it was a light, soft pink color. I was here for a fresh start, so I
took a deep breath and put some on.
Betty stood back and smiled. “I do believe you're ready.
Pastor Dan would like to come speak with you before the ceremony. Are you ready
for him to come in?” I nodded my answer.
When Betty left, I
sat on the edge of the bed waiting for the pastor to come in. I looked out the
window and saw Pastor Dan and George under the maple tree in prayer. That scene
immediately gave me peace. When they were finished Pastor Dan smiled and
slapped George on the back. A moment
later there was a knock on the door.
“Come in” I softly replied.
“Hello, Miss
McPherson, it's a pleasure to meet you. I am Doug Daniel. Most people call me
Pastor Dan or plain ol’Dan. If George
didn’t point out the church it’s the little white building about two miles from
the main road on the right. Since I made
the introduction of George to you I know how your courtship was through letters and the
circumstances surrounding it. Now I am not here to judge, I am here to make
sure you are ready for marriage.
Marriage is a life long commitment and I want to be sure you understand
the commitment that you are making to not only George, but before God.”
Maggie had been looking at her hands folded in her lap while
Pastor Dan spoke. She looked up with a weak smile and said, “I am thankful for
your willingness to help me and for the introduction to George. I would be
pleased if you would call me Maggie.”
Pastor Dan nodded. “May
I ask how old you are?”
“I am twenty as of last week.”
Pastor Dan smiled. “You have no concerns about marrying a
man that is seven years older then yourself?”
“No, I find security in the fact that George is mature and
settled. He will be able to provide a
safe and secure life for me.”
“I grew up with Sissy and if she vouches for your character
then that satisfies me. Tell me about Sissy.”
“Miss Sissy was the cook when I moved in with my
grandparents after the passing of my parents. Sissy is like a mother to
me. It is at her side I learned how to cook, garden, sew and love the Lord. I love and miss her dearly.”
“She always had a kind heart.” Pastor Dan said with a far
away look. “Do you want to be married to
George this afternoon?”
“Yes, I feel it is God’s will and marrying George is my desire” I squeaked out.
“Good, good, then it is time for a wedding! I wish my Martha
could be here for this. She has been gone for three years now. She loved
weddings and would have loved to see George say I do. We both think of him as a
fine man. I will send Betty in and we
will start when you are ready.” He smiled as he closed the door on the way out.
Betty rushed in. “Sweet girl are you ready to marry our
George?” I smiled and shook my head yes. “What are we waiting for; the boys are
waiting under the maple tree waiting for us.” Betty took my arm and away we went.
Betty stepped out onto the back porch pulling me along. I
tried to grab the screen door before it slammed shut. Too late! It hit the door
frame with a thud. Betty’s back went
straight which caused me to smile. The moment I looked up I saw that the men
were looking at us. George meet my eyes and it took me a second to get my feet
moving toward him.
The slam of the door caused George to look over. He knew
Betty had gone to get Maggie but he wasn’t prepared for what he saw. Her smile
warmed him like sunshine on a winter day and her hair. He had never seen more
beautiful hair. Many women had started to cut their hair shorter these days. He
knew that in the eyes of most Maggie would be considered ordinary. In the eyes
of George, Maggie was stunning!
“Let me read Matthew 19:6. Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. ” Pastor Dan smiled at us both. “I now present Mr. and Mrs. George
Kraft. George you may kiss your bride.”
I started to feel panic and then George
moved slowly forward and ever so gently his lips brushed mine. I was now a
married woman and had experienced my first kiss! There was no time to ponder
all of this as Betty threw her arms around us both and blubbered how happy she
was. That is all we needed for the tension to be released. George and I looked
at each other and had a nervous laugh.
“Let’s celebrate! I do believe there is a
cake.” Jake stated as he took Betty by the arm and led her toward the back
door.
“Lands sake Jake is your stomach all you can
think about!” Betty scolded as she mopped her face with a hankie.
Jake
reached over and planted a kiss on her forehead. “Woman you should know by now
that’s the truth!” Then he turned and winked at us. “I do like to get this girl
going!”
We all laughed as we headed in to celebrate.

A very picturesque wedding you have described! Will continue to wait on the next chapter :)
ReplyDeleteI'm really enjoying your story Wendi!
ReplyDeleteI keep watching every week for the next chapter! I'm truly enjoying this!
ReplyDeletePicture perfect country wedding! So glad he liked her hair. And a soft sweet first kiss!
ReplyDeleteHugs, Roxy