Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Marshmallows



2 1/2 T unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 c sugar
1 c light corn syrup
1/4 t salt
2 tbs pure vanilla
powdered sugar

Combine gelatin and 1/2 c cold water in bowl of electric mixer with whisk attachment. Let stand for 30 minutes.

Combine sugar, corn syrup, salt and 1/2 c water. Dissolve sugar over low heat. Once dissolve wash down side of pan with wet pastry brush to dissolve sugar crystals on side of pan. Attach candy thermometer. DO NOT STIR. Let cook until reaches 244 degrees (full ball stage). Remove from heat.

Turn mixer on slow. Slowly and carefully add to gelatin. Bring mixer to fast speed. Let mix until triple in size. About 15 minutes. Add vanilla.

Pour marshmallow into pan that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar. For thick marshmallows use a 8x8 pan. I want thin marshmallows so I spread them on a baking sheet. Allow to sit overnight to stiffen up.

Snow is in the forecast for tonight. What a treat it will be to sit back with a cup of hot chocolate topped with a homemade marshmallow and watch the snow fall!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my - I've been itching to make homemade marshmallows and feared it to be too hard. But, you have inspired me - next week Emily and I will be on the Letter "M" and that's it - we're making marshmallows! :) Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made homemade marshmellows. This sounds so inviting. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made homemade marshmellows. This sounds so inviting. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, you've got me motivated, I'm going to give this one a try. They just sound sooooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been dying to try my hand at these for YEARS!! Not only did I watch Alton Brown make them on his show, but now I have your recipe, too!! OOOOH gooey fun is just around the corner!!!

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!