Friday, December 14, 2007

Banana Bread in a Jar


2 2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
4 eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 cups mashed, ripe bananas
1 t vanilla
3 1/2 cup flour
1/2 t nutmeg
1 t cinnamon
2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t salt

Grease jars with vegetable shortening.

Cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs. Add buttermilk and vanilla. Mix well. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well and then add bananas.

Use 1 cup batter for pint jars and 2 cups for quarts. Makes 7 pints. Do not overfill your jars to prevent spillage. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes. (I found that it needed a longer baking time.)

I finally did it! It turned out very well. The bread is very moist. It takes a little bit of maneuvering to get the bread out of the jar. Even with the wide mouth jar it is a little tight. All in all I call it a success and think these will make cute gifts!

3 comments:

  1. This idea fascinates me. Thanks for sharing, Wendi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad this worked out!!! I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is the butter,cream cheese and hot tea!!LOL Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!