Monday, December 03, 2007

Fudgy Problems

I made peanut butter fudge yesterday. I would like to say it was yummy, but I can't! This frustrates me to no end! I can not make a good batch of fudge. To me it always taste gritty, like the sugar is not dissolved. Last year I made it exactly like the instructions, and this year I let it boil a little long, with the same results! Mom and my sister use the same recipe and their fudge turns out creamy and delicious.

Sorry, no picture to show. Chuck said it is okay and took the fudge to work. Those guys will eat anything! Part of me thinks that I should admit I am a fudge failure, but the other part of me will be in the kitchen trying a new batch today! What can I say, I am a glutton for punishment or maybe just a little persistent!

Any ideas on how to get rid of that gritty taste?

10 comments:

  1. Wendi,

    I've never made fudge, but just wanted to say I can relate with making a recipe that didn't turn out. This very morning I attempted the marbled treats from the holiday Kraft magazine. Yikes! They make it look so easy--mine are a mess, but I know they'll still taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure it will be enjoyed by your husband's coworkers. Have a really great day. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry! Don't give up, maybe your mom and sis could help you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might want to evaluate what kind of bowl you are using to boil your ingredients in...
    we've found that the no-stick coatings are not good for making fudge...stainless steel is much better. Also, I don't know if you use marshmallows or marshmallow cream, but we use the cream and it makes a big difference. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cheat and make the easy kind with marshmellow creme so I don't have any tips - but I'm cheering you on for trying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't make fudge often but do make caramels and found that the old fashion thermometer works better than the electrical ones, infact I had batches that were way under cooked because of the digital type.
    The other thought I had was that either over stirring or under stirring could cause the grainy texture. Candy making is so time consuming I hate gettig bad batches. Hope you find your solution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have never tried to make fudge before...so i am no help at all..sorry!!! But keep trying..i bet you will get it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure, but I think the "grainy" texture is due to overcooking. Do you use a candy thermometer?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first time I made fudge was 4 years ago, and it was yummy! I've not made a good batch since. I don't know why but it so tricky! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have an awesome peanut butter fudge recipe. I made multiple batches of it last Christmas for gifts. You don't even need a candy thermometer. I've posted it on my blog before. I'll dig through and find it, if you'd like?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!