Monday, August 21, 2017

Joy in the Ordinary

Look around, really look around and you will find joy... joy in the everyday... joy in the ordinary things.

The solar eclipse didn't disappoint! Our area saw a 91% eclipse. I loved that when it first started Megan said it looked like Cookie Monster had taken a big bite out of the sun.
A trip to the library replenished my reading pile. 
The pictures in A Year of Picnics are like eye candy. They actually reminded me of something Monica The Homespun Heart would post. She is the queen of cute picnics!
We went to the fair with my in-laws and made tons of memories!
We enjoyed the show in the Pioneer Village that demonstrated how the old farm equipment worked. Megan took an interest in the history of wheat threshing.
After the show she asked a question and the man took the time to walk her through some things and let her touch and try her hand at threshing wheat. 
 I don't think you can learn the history of wheat threshing this well from a book! This is exactly what I imagined when we made the decision the homeschool. 

A dead tree was cut down on Saturday. We are blessed to have great people in our lives who are willing to help us!
There have been some amazing sunsets. Something I never tire of seeing. 
Art consisted of heating rocks (350* for 10 minutes) and then using crayons to create a design. A fun project! If you do it, please, remember it needs constant adult supervision as it would be easy to forget that the rock is hot :)
Fresh, sweet Indiana corn. Yum!
 I stepped onto the back porch and noticed that the neighbors tree is changing.
Ready or not the change of season is coming!

May your day be filled with joy in the journey!


9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your book choices. I am always looking for good books to read. I want to see if our library has any of the ones you choose. They all look like ones I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun week you all had. I love hands on, our area doesn't offer a whole lot. We have to drive an hour or more away to find something of history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you all had so many happy times this past week. That fair photo is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun Fun Fun!
    Love that rock project!
    Thanks for sharing...
    Have a cozy afternoon. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure Megan learned more about wheat threshing through the live demonstration and seeing and touching the wheat than she would have in a school classroom.

    My kids are 31 and 34 years old and went to public school. I am 98 percent sure that no teachers ever mentioned anything at all about wheat threshing, though I am sure that wheat was mentioned.



    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great week! Love the pic of your daughter in the tractor tire. Hands on experience is truly the best teacher! I like the rock coloring... I may try that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you had lots of fun. I am so glad that the man took the time to actually show Megan how the thresher worked. We live in the middle of the wheat, pea, lentil and garbanzo fields here in our town and I am amazed at how many kids have no idea that the wheat that is grown all around us is made into flour for bread. That rock project looked really cool. I may have to do that with the little boys when they are a bit older. ;) Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the rock idea! That book does sound like Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun rock project, but I agree careful supervision would be very necessary! The fair is so much fun, we went to ours here a couple of weeks ago. Wonderful memories! I was intrigued by all the handmade quilts, so much work, amazing to see. Always good to stop by for a visit, it's been a busy summer here, and yes, our maple leaves are turning too! Fall is here :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!