Tuesday, July 25, 2017

The Tuesday Tackle #12

Today will be another painting edition. *smile*  The outside of the door that leads into the garage received a fresh coat of paint.  I had previously used some leftover stain, Navajo Red, from our barn. I always hated it because it didn't clean well.
It's the only door original our home. This 1953 door looks a ton better although it still a little rough in person. We'll say that it has character!

Another door that needed some work is the door between the house and garage. In this picture you get a glimpse of the door frame. Once upon a time there was a retractable screen door here and when it was removed it pulled off the paint. The door frame has been like this for more years then I care to admit.
The door had seen better days. The paint was peeling when we moved in 16 years ago. At the time there were more pressing things to tackle. That meant this door was lightly scraped and a new coat of paint was applied. I'm sure you can imagine how well that made the door look. I thought I had taken a before picture of the door but apparently I didn't. There isn't one to be found. Sigh. 

Paint remover was applied and we were on our way. It was interesting to see the paint through the years. It started out as yellow on the side in the house and teal on the garage side. That would have been the original 1950's color. Then it went to a horrible green for the 60's. The 70's brought in a brown color and then it was painted off white and then eventually white.

After the paint layers were removed, it was sanded, primed and a fresh coat of white paint was applied. Once the door was finished Chuck installed some trim around the door frame and then it was chalked and given a coat of paint.
Ah... much better... but...
it's missing something.
I wanted the door to look pretty even if it is only seen by us and close family members. Let's face it you should be keeping home to make it a haven for you and your family and not for those who occasionally visit.
 I used the cherry fabric leftover from the laundry makeover to make the wreath. I cut the fabric into 1x5 strips and tied them onto wire wreath form in my craft stash. It was part of an old wreath that had seen better day.  This rag wreath was basically completed for no cost since I used items that were leftovers. Easy and you can find a ton of how tos on Pinterest. 

What projects have you tackled in the last week? Tune in next Tuesday to see what homemaking debt I tackle.   

May your day be filled with joy in the journey! 



5 comments:

  1. The door looks so nice. I love the wreath. I have always liked the fabric when I saw it in other posts. So cheerful and happy. www.merryheartcrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me, I agree that you should make your home a haven for your family. I love the wreath, I will have to learn how to make one of those. What a great fall wreath it would make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the red door! I want to paint my front door red; it's one of those 'some day' projects on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it. I am a terrible painter, yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so good. I love rag wreaths.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!