Thursday, June 08, 2017

Thrifty Thursday #3

I find it hard to believe we are in the first full week of June. It feels like time is zooming by. No matter how much we want it to, time won't slow down. All we can do is buckle up and enjoy the ride. Here are a a few of the thrifty things that took place in the past week. 

 My parents cleaned out a bunch of stuff. Old pool loungers, broken umbrellas and such. Chuck happily took it all to sell for scrap.
It's a win, win for everyone. They get rid of their junk and we make a few pennies.

We keep running out of drinking cups. Over time a few had cracked or mysteriously disappeared. :) Chuck gave me a gift card with $5 on it from a return he made a long time ago. I used it to purchase some cups.
I ended up spending $1.68 out of pocket for 8 glasses.

Used grocery rewards to save 10 cents off each gallon of gas.
Attended a pitch in birthday party for Chuck's grandmother and a couple of her siblings. I took inexpensive dishes using mainly items from my pantry. One was beans and hot dogs.
The package of hot dogs was purchased on sale for $0.88 and I used three cans of beans that were purchased when they were $0.50 a can. All of the seasoning came from the pantry.
The head of cabbage was $0.89 at Aldi and I used two carrots from a pound bag in the frig.  I paid $.88 for the bag. I already had the mayo, ground mustard, salt, sugar and vinegar in the pantry.

I also took green beans with potatoes. I used six quarts of home canned green beans and pulled five potatoes from the pantry.  I feel like I contributed a good amount of food without spending a fortune.

So there you go. I hope this encourages you to do things to save money. The old adage that every penny counts seems to apply more and more these days. I find it's much harder to stretch my pennies into nickles. *smile*  I find it encouraging to hear about other frugal adventures.

May your day be filled with joy in the journey!


9 comments:

  1. Great savings and blessings! I saved 2x the gas at Krogers this week. Keeping my windows open during our little cool down to save on AC cost. I will be hanging clothes out today to save on electric bill. We are still washing dishes by hand, instead of running the dish wash for a 2 hours each load. Eating at home saving by not eating out. Transplanted eight trees from my field area to my yard. What a savings that was. I love your thrifty post each week. Enjoy your summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I updated my freezer inventory this week. There were lots of "this and that" in there and now I know exactly what we have to work with! And what really needs to be used up. I have enough that I can make menu plans from this for a little while with only minimal grocery shopping. Since then, I found out that some family is coming to visit next week which may mean more shopping than I had planned due to some serious food allergies. But I will do what I can with what I have and then just add other items to round it all out. I always enjoy your thrifty posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tremendous savings. Good work. Good deal on glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did really well stretching your food budget there and contributing some really yummy dishes! Potluck type parties are some of my favorites because I always know there is going to be a delicious variety of foods at them. I'll be sharing my frugal doings tomorrow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your contributed dishes look delicious!
    That scrap selling can be fun, it's always a mystery how much you'll make.
    I really like your thrifty posts. I think you and Chuck are a smart, hardworking couple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girl! You and hubby did a great job both bringing $ in and keeping it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really stretched your dollars to make that much food! It is a wonderful feeling to know that you can do so much good on so little :) Always enjoy hearing about your savings! I cooked up 2 pounds of hamburger meat this week and made it stretch for three meals: rice and beans, tacos and spaghetti, and it feels good to use up things in my freezer too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your food always looks so tasty!

    Things I did this past week to save money: Our fridge died and we put it on our credit card. (Gasp!) It saves me money because it was 12 months same as cash. I didn't want to drain my savings, so we chose this method. Minimal driving has let me stretch this tank for almost a month now. Baked someone a cake instead of buying a present.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! You did good on your savings this week. Every bit helps...
    I've been shopping from my pantry this passed week. Using up what I have on hand is always a win. I'm hoping to buy meat and a few staples this pay check. I've been doing little baking as its been so hot! Hoping to get the new pool up this weekend. Time is indeed zooming by! ;) Hang on tight and enjoy the ride!

    Enjoy your week Wendi!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!