Friday, June 02, 2017

Thrifty Thursday #2

For whatever reason this didn't post on Thursday. I guess you could say I am a day late and a dollar short! ha

 It has been a beautiful week! The weather has been wonderful with temperatures dipping into the 50's at night and then climbing into the 80's during the day. This is my favorite type of weather. Perfect! That means the windows have been thrown open.
A few things have broken around here. We heard a terrible noise in the garage. I admit it scared me and startled Chuck. He thought for a moments and knew it was the garage door spring. 
I went to get the floor cleaner out from under the kitchen sink and noticed water. I cleaned it up and there was more water after dinner. Chuck took a look and saw that the garbage disposal was leaking from the bottom. A quick internet search and it was determined that a seal was bad. It advised that it was more cost effective to replace the unit as if one seal has gone bad the other won't be far behind. 
Garbage disposals aren't cheap! Chuck used a gift card he had gotten for his birthday to cover almost half of the expense. 

Super thankful for a guy that is handy and isn't afraid to jump in and tackle these projects. I can't begin to tell you the money we have saved, over the years, by doing things ourselves. YouTube is a great source for learning how to do these things. 

I mentioned that over the weekend we put a new liner in my paren'ts pool. The cost to have this professionaly done was $2500. 
My parents, my family and my sisters' family were able to tackle this for the cost of the liner and a load of sand that my dad picked up himself.  I admit it was a real pain to complete but it's done and we saved my parents quite a bit of money. The bonus is that Megan will get a ton of enjoyment out of it!

So there you go. I hope this encourages you to do things to save money. The old adage that every penny counts seems to apply more and more these days. I find it's much harder to stretch my pennies into nickles. *smile*  I find it encouraging to hear about other frugal adventures.

May your day be filled with joy in the journey!


9 comments:

  1. I read your post and smiled (with irony) when you talked about the noise from the garage. The same thing happened to me last summer and it was quite a shock to hear that! I had to have the spring replaced on my garage door, too, but alas, I have no Chuck so I had to pay someone :( I also had the water under the sink issue bbut mine invovled a leaking dishwasher hose. You are blessed to have Chuck!! All these little, inevitable repairs add up to quite a bit of money. I love your Thrifty Thursday posts! (I also am loving your book)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendi, we too have had leaks under the sink. Just as you, I caught it early. I'm grateful my husband is a man of many talents and was able to fix the problem on multiple occasions. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been doing some work around our house too. I'm also grateful that my husband is handy and fixes a lot of things around here!
    I've only read chapter 3 and 4 today and I'm loving your story!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That happened to our garage door back in Ohio, the spring snapped off and hit a wall and it sounded like a gun shot or something scared the heck out of me lol. Aren't handy husbands the best!? I always tell people how lucky I am that my husband is so handy, saved us a lot of money over the years. :-) Have a great weekend!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! I'll bet this feature becomes a weekly highlight.
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree...it's becoming more difficult to stretch every penny. I have to up my frugal game!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post, and I love how real your life is. Guess what I have leaks under my kitchen sink also, must be the month for them. (smile) My handy man hasn't had the time to fix it yet. So a bowl and a bucket will have to do. I agree with Stephanie, it is becoming more difficult to stretch every penny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad your hubby was able to fix that spring on your garage door opener. My hubby tried that on our's and injured himself in the process. Good job on the pool liner...I know that is a difficult job but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful that you and your hubby fix things, so much better that way! We are fix-it ourselves people too! How wonderful that all of your family contributed to the pool liner effort, and that you will be able to enjoy it with Megan this summer :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!