Friday, April 07, 2017

Joy in the Ordinary

Look around, really look around and you will find joy... joy in the everyday... joy in the ordinary things.

It seems Spring has arrived. The early flowers are in bloom and the trees are budding out. Seeing new life pop up every where makes this my favorite season for a variety of reasons. 
I finally got all of the warm weather clothes washed, ironed and put away. It seems that one day we are close to 70* and then it is close to freezing. Typical for around here. That makes it good to be prepared. 

They say April showers bring May flowers. We have had our share of showers and a thunderstorm or two thrown in. It's one of my simple pleasures to sit on the back porch and listen to the rain hit the metal roof and smell the freshness. It makes my heart happy!
The grocery shopping for the month was finished up this week. Lots of freshness in these jars. It significantly cut down on waste and trips to the grocery keeping it this way. Not only that, but it looks pretty too!
Freshly painted nails for a busy weekend. I use to keep them painted all the time. Not so much anymore as housework is hard on them. 
Warm, sunny days means it is time for projects!
I need to run this morning. I have a list of things to accomplish today. We'll be busy this weekend. Tonight we will help my in-laws get a new water heater. Saturday we have a gathering with friends, and Sunday we are trying a new church. In between all of that I hope to work on our current project. We'll see. Have a great weekend!

May your day be filled with joy in the journey! 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Wendi, Could you please tell me about what you do with your jars? I am very intrigued about your once a month method for keeping things fresh. Or maybe if you have a link to a previous post but I have been reading your blog for several years and haven't seen one (though I could have missed it : ) ). Good luck with your church hunt- I think that is one of the hardest things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I currently do the grocery shopping every 2 weeks and still struggle keeping things fresh!

      Delete
    2. I wash my produce as I normally would. (Wash and spin the greens, wash the fruit in vinegar water) I then place it into jars with a lid and ring. That makes it air tight and I have found it extends the shelf life. Generally everything last 2-3 weeks. It depends on how long the items had been on the shelf before purchase. I do my big shopping once a month and will pop in mid month to top off on bread, milk and fresh produce as needed. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. We're having sun and warm weather this April in Portugal. Usually, we have rainy days in April, but so far, the sun is shinning!
    Hope you and your family, have a great weekend!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh.. a fun project ! I can't wait to see! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your weather sounds like ours warm & cold. Tonight it could be in the 20'... Take Care have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok Wendi,
    You have inspired me.
    I have a basket of ironing waiting for me.
    Today is the day!
    Have a cozy weekend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smiled over your pretty manicure and the 'housework is hard on nails' comment. I got a 'test product' polish to use and wasn't allowed to remove for seven days during the process. UGH. NOT a homemaker's friend, lol. I was so happy to see the end of that trial, though I did really like the polish color. I haven't washed my berries before, but I do store them in jars and find they hold up far better than leaving in the plastic containers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your produce looks so pretty in jars. I'm thinking jars would be space efficient in the fridge too. I may be trying your method next time.
    I've had ironing on my to do list for 3 weeks in a row and still, haven't done it. It's mostly husband's dress shirts and apparently he has plenty as it's been waiting so long,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hot and cold weather, that would be spring indeed, lol! Love how you keep your fresh produce more fresh, great idea! I will give it a try :) Hope you had a wonderful weekend, and that your visit to a church went well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the color of your tulips, they are so pretty! It's nice to see you pampering yourself with a manicure...I am hoping to do that later this week too. Be blessed my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello!
    Your produce in the jars is sure pretty! Spring is here too. Lots of budding and glimmers of colors starting. And Praise the Lord for all the moisture! I know we sure needed it.
    Looks like you are busy, can't wait to see what project you are all doing now. What fun! Enjoy your week!

    I hope you have a Blessed Easter!
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog looks SO pretty, Wendi!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!