Thursday, March 23, 2017

Handmade vs Kitchen Aid

Megan loves to make butter. I will often find heavy whipping cream added to my shopping list. :) I bought some recently and Megan was delighted to make butter. She got a jar and got busy. While she was shaking, shaking and shaking some more I decided to make some myself.
I poured the rest of the whipping cream into the Kitchen Aid and let it do its thing.

It took the mixer longer before the whipped cream turned back into a liquid. Megan finished her butter well before the mixer. Once we poured them out we noticed that butter made in the mixer was firmer. Had Megan continued to mix the butter in jar longer it might have become firmer also. We'll have to test that another time.
I have heard many times "I can't do that. I don't have the right equipment."  Our grandmother and great-grandmothers made most things from scratch without fancy gadets. We can do it too! Don't let the fact that you don't have a noodle maker or a fancy Kitchen Aid mixer stop you from trying. Sure those things might make it easier, but anything worth having is worth the work it takes to get it. Roll up your sleeves and try. You'll never know what you might be able to do if you never make an attempt. Okay, that's my pep talk for the day! *smile*

Megan tired the buttermilk for the first time. She stated they are "both equally disgusting!" That made me laugh and laugh. 

Our conclusion is that making butter either way will work just fine. It is certainly a little more labor intensive to make it in a jar.

Regardless of the method chosen you will end up with the same result... delicious tasting butter!

May your day be filled with joy in the journey! 

7 comments:

  1. I've never made butter but may try Megan's technique. And I never realized buttermilk is what's left over after making butter!! Such a duh moment for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will try it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new look to your blog - meant to tell you that on my last visit :) And making homemade butter is something my kids loved to do when they were younger too. I haven't made some in a while, but it is nice to know that the mixer can do the job if the kids aren't handy :) Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is new to me too!
    Thanks for the info!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lordy, now I want to make butter. See how you influence me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendi, when I was a little girl we had the chore of milking the cow. My mom would run the milk through an pasteurizer. She would pour milk into several jars for us children to shake into butter. We would always race to see who could turn their milk into butter first. What memories, I will have to let my little china dolls try that today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love homemade butter! And you're right either way you make it, the butter still tastes amazing!
    I agree with Megan, buttermilk is disgusting. I like making buttermilk pancakes or putting it in a cake.

    I hope you are enjoying your weekend!

    Hugs to you,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!