Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Heartfelt Chat

"Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives." 

I have never watched Days of Our Lives but I have heard the beginning of it many times. It begins after our noon news and when I am watching I will catch the opening jingle. I have always pondered this line from the opening as it speaks the truth. Our lives are always moving forward. The season we are in will make that time seem faster or slower but just as the sand slowly drifts to the bottom, our lives are always steadily moving also. 

Anyone that had read my little space on the web for sometime knows that I like simple, steady and routine. As we know life can be anything but that. Change and sometimes turmoil has been all around us lately.

My in-laws (Chuck's mom and step-dad) were basically forced out the church we use to attend alongside them. I have been encouraging her to see this as a blessing in disguise as they weren't happy, but wanted to fight for the good of their church home. The situation was impacting her health and although Chuck and I are sad it had to end this way we are grateful that they are out of this situation. 

That situation led to the end of a friendship. I contacted her yesterday just to chat. It was a text conversation and I could tell by her response that she was cold toward me. She then said she thought she would never hear from me again after what happened with my mother-in-law. What? The thing that happened was between my mother-in-Iaw and the leaders of that church. Not my friend, or myself.  I said that no matter what or where we might be we were all part of God's family. That ended that. I guess I am suppose to be upset with anyone at that church and it must be them against all who have left. It was awkward, sad and hurtful. Our relationship had been strained since we left that church. I can see that God put us together for a season and that season is over. Honestly, I am fine with it.  

I have been open about how tight our finances have been since I had heart surgery. Our run in with the septic left me extremely stressed out. I broke down with Chuck and told him I didn't know what we were going to do as we couldn't rob Peter to pay Paul since Peter was broke too! He laughed at me. He took control of the situation and did some fancy figuring and found a way for us to be able to pay off almost all of our debt.  Things will still be tight. Just not strangling tight. 

That leads me to our decision about Megan and school. We had been weighing options. Praying about things. We asked Megan to take a week and pray about what she wanted. (Although the ultimate decision would be ours.) She talked to her friends, one of her teachers and came back at the end of week and said she was indecisive.  Chuck and I took an afternoon and went out for lunch. We had one of those conversation that really flow and you pour out your heart. We both agreed that financially we couldn't pay for private school any longer. Ultimately Chuck made the final decision and we are going to homeschool. 

I couldn't make the decision because I was so torn. As much I wanted to say yes I was held back by my fear. The fear that I will fail Megan. That fear is starting to subside. As my mom said if it doesn't work out then we can make a change the following school year. I am now feeling peace and excitement about our new journey.

There will always be changes and struggles as the sand of life shifts. I am in a good place and feeling at peace with the decisions we have made and even with the turn of events that have been out of our control.  Through all moments God is faithful and I am extremely grateful. 

Now that I have probably shared more then you need to know I am off to start the day. I will have The Tuesday Tackle back next week. I couldn't seem to get my act together to tackle much of anything last week. ;) 

May your day be filled with joy in the journey!


  

12 comments:

  1. Dear Wendi, I knew from your posts that you are in very trying times.
    We've been in a church break up and it is just as hard and heartbreaking as a situation can be. I feel your pain.
    Yea for Chuck and his figuring. I've listened to Dave Ramsey and for the most part, he has sound advice but his ways don't work for everybody. My husband and I are proof that doing things differently can have a great outcome.

    I was hoping you were going to homeschool Megan. It is hard work but it's not as hard as some people make it out to be. I homeschooled our 3 for 2 years when they were all struggling in different areas. It was one of the best things we ever did. And we did it with spending almost no money on schooling stuff, because at the time, we had no money.

    I'm rooting and praying for you. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rhonda, homeschooling is one of the bet things we ever did as well. It brought my daughter and I closer than ever and we loved our learning journey together. We were able to take her education in new directions, homeschooling out of the home by taking advantage of free or deeply discounted events and activities at our local museums and historic homes. We turned baking into home economics, trips to the grocery store into math lessons, time spent outdoors into physical education. When she went off to high school, she was better prepared, academically and socially than most of her peers and it was a truly precious time that we can look back on with joy. Blessings to you, and I hope you and Megan have a wonderful time together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy with your decision to homeschool. You and Megan will LOVE it. It is so much fun. There are so many curriculums out there now. Enjoy and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Wendi, what a beautiful and insightful post as always! I love that you take everything to God and lay it before Him. Even though you have shared some difficult times on your sweet blog here recently I have always had a sense of peace when I read your posts and it feels as if that is because of your deep faith that shines out so much in everything you write. It is such a privelige for us to share in your family's journey as we read here! And even more so now that you are starting on this new exciting chapter! I too agree with everyone else that I am so overjoyed to hear your decision to homeschool (I had prayed this was the one you would reach!). We homeschooled our daughter and son right through to A'Level (we live in England) after which they both went to a local college. I remember asking our daughter not long after they started (they are only 10 months apart in age! So went together which was very comforting for me) if she felt that she was "different" from her classmates being the only one who had been homeschooled. She said that the thing she noticed most, was that they seemed to be less inquisitive and independent in their thinking than she and her brother were. I think it is because when you homeschool, as Pamela says above, the education spills out of lessons and into everything you do together - there are so many great learning opportunities, without spending lots of money on resources, and you can be so creative with how you teach, that I think the learning does extend beyond the boundaries of a school based education. And yes, I believe we are all much closer as a family because of it too. I think you will all enjoy yourselves so much - when I was teaching our children, I learned just as much as they did! Though not necessarily the same things :-). You will do a fantastic job, I am sure! So I send many prayers and blessings to you ... oh I have so much to catch up on! I have already written an "essay" but just wanted to add that also, we too left our Church home about 4 1/2 years ago under very similar circumstances to the ones you describe. It is saddening but you are so right, I am sure this has all happened for a reason and with my health being poor I would not be able to get to Church often anyway. So after finishing homeschooling, we now have home Church at the moment ... as your blog so very truly puts it, our hearts are indeed always home! You bring light into so many people's lives! I pray and hope that lots of lovely sunshine is in yours right now too. Thank you for your lovely blog (and for reading this rambling comment!). Rubekah xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. LISTEN...The Lord is in you and loves you. People are not perfect and all can be hurtful. I know with all my heart that you will do great homeschooling Megan. I enjoyed my time homeschooling Andrew. Sometimes, when a friendship ends, I try and focus on what I learned from the relationship. This helps me to create better friendships with others.

    Oh, if your interested, I have some very good ho.eschool materials for 5/6 middles choose multi grade in my basement. Be more than happy to mail it to you. When your done you can pass it along. It has only been used by my son. Email me and I can send you photos of the material so you and Chuck can see if you would like to use it. Gingerdawnharman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you have made a great decision to homeschool. I homeschooled both my children. My son ended up being valedictorian of LSU Fire academy a few years ago. Just graduated from police academy with 3rd highest average in the class of 30 some!!! My daughter homeschooled her 3 oldest and will do her youngest when able. You can control what your children are learning too!!! If and when the time comes you need help with harder math and sciences you can always find a college student who tutors on the side for a small fee!! Have fun in your new journey!! Change is always hard but it seems it always works out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are absolutely NOT going to fail Megan.
    You will never regret this. Even if you only do it for a year, it will be a year of growing closer and of wonderful learning opportunities. My advice is to not try to duplicate school at home. If you'd like to talk, just drop me an email. I've been homeschooling since 1996 if you include preschool. God bless you! God bring you complete healing in Jesus' Name. God bring you the finances you need in Jesus' Name.

    Hugs,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making friends with others is easy. We can make our life very happy by dealing good with others. I have no idea about home schooling...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am happy you have reached the decision that is best for your family and I pray for your success. While I do not homeschool, I do try to supplement my son's education with lots of things we do together by making all of our "field trips" a learning experience. I'll admit it was easier when he was younger, it's a little harder to find these activities now that he's older. You will do great, because you have Megan's best interest at heart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY!!! I was hoping you would homeschool, I have been homeschooling since 1992 and still love it. You love Megan to much to fail her. Find a good homeschool group to join. Sorry about you MIL, keep praying, keeping showing her kindness, she will come around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy for your going to homeachool. Praying for the other situations. I have been there as you know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wendi, I just had to tell you that I have been reading your blog for some time and have been so blessed and encouraged by your writings as you share your life with others. I have been through leaving a church before and my heart goes out to you as you deal with how that affects friendships. It is painful to leave a group that has really been your family. I so wish I had home schooled our son and I know you will be great at it. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!