Monday, January 02, 2017

A New Year Begins

I know that many are depressed and let down after Christmas. Not me. As much as I adore Christmas I find it refreshing to put the décor away. Everything feels fresh, in its place and I can breath. That lasted until Wednesday after Christmas anyway.
I have been knocked down with a bad cold. Most of my week was spent with a cup of tea, a good book and a box of tissue. Thankfully I had all of Christmas put away. I am feeling a little better although I still have a hoarse voice.
The monthly menu is complete as is the shopping.
 I was dragging when it was complete, but it is done. I had a couple of extra helpers with me so there are a few things here that I normally wouldn't buy. ;) There were some good sales so I stocked up on a few things. Many of these items will last us for more then a month. Such as the meat, packages of cookies and trash bags. I spent more then I wanted but I am okay with it as I have a stocked freezer of meat. This year I will track my grocery spending on my blog. I spent $275.95. $33.83 of this amount was on M&M's alone. (not all pictured above) I purchased enough 50% off bags to last us for a year. I use them in cookies in place of chocolate chips, in trail mix and keep a jar in the pantry to grab a few when someone needs a chocolate fix. It doesn't matter to us that they are red and green.
 
The rest of month the I will only purchase must have such as milk and fresh produce.

Blueberries were .99 cents a quart. I grabbed several of those. I had read that keeping them in a glass jar extends the life of your produce. It said to store the fruit unwashed. I washed them as I have a little one that eats better when the healthy snacks require no prep. I interested to see if this helps as we had more food waste then I want to admit last year.
]
Projects and goals have been set. We have the material or an existing gift card (yay Christmas gifts!) to cover many of our projects. I am sad to say we are still knee deep in debt. Sigh. Those medical bills have killed us.  I don't want that to sound too much like a grumble as I am blessed with a good man, great marriage, healthy child, nice home, steady income, and plenty of food. The budget will be tight again this year as we have set a big financial goal.
My kitchen counter has looked like this for most of the week. :) Tomorrow we start the daily grind again as Chuck returns to work and Megan to school. I will miss the crafts, science experiments and most of all my people.
 
My friends, I must close. I have rolls rising that I must check on. Here's to a great 2017!
 
May your day be filled with joy in the journey! 

9 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a glass jar to store produce. We, too, wasted more food than I care to admit. I'm aiming to get that under control this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great strides already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I am inspired! I shall attempt to put away Christmas in the morning! Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. However, it is a great time to catch up on reading. I have not heard that you can keep veggies in a jar to prolong shelf life. Going to have to try this! Now, I must get the Thank you cards finished! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendi, I am impressed with your low cost grocery shopping.
    I store almost all my fresh produce in Tupperware or zip bags with the air squeezed out and I do think it lasts much longer this way. Glass jars will also seal out the air so I am sure your produce will last longer.
    I'm so sorry you've had a cold. I've been under the weather a bit too. I thought it was a cold but now I'm thinking its allergies. Whatever 😱
    Best wishes to you on making your 2017 goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Father God, I ask for miraculous provision to completely pay these medical bills. I pray that you will bring full vibrant health to each member of the family. I ask it all in Jesus' Name.

    By the way, tea and a good book sound great. The cold not so much. Get well soon in Jesus' Name!


    Please drop by and say hello!
    ஐღLauraღஐ
    Harvest Lane Cottage
    ...doing what I can with what I've got where I am
    on a short shoestring budget!
    ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always, always inspire me!I am interested to know if storing produce in glass jars helps. I have several and never thought of doing that! I, too, have a goal of saving $1000 emergency fund this year and it will not be easy,but I am going to try my best.I never leave my decorations up very long after Christmas, either. I put all of mine away last Tuesday. Keep posting your grocery budget as that is an area I plan to focus on this year. With just the two of us, I find that I waste more than I shuld and am not sure how to go about prevening that. I also want to try meal planning this year. I usually fly by the seat of my pants, which leads to too many drive thru dinners. Expensive and unhealthy! Thanks for the inspiration. Happy 2017!!!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still enjoy your blog so much... we set a big goal of 6 months living expenses (including school tuition for our boys)... I'm more of a spender, so this will be big for me! I love the hope a new year can bring! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you feel better soon! I think we can all relate to finances being tight at times. We are working on beefing up our emergency fund this year(have had lots of expenses over the last couple of years that took out of savings way faster than we could put back in!)and then after that saving to pay cash for some home projects that have been on the back burner.

    I always like seeing posts about real life grocery budgets so please do share! I often keep fresh veggies and fruits in glass jars just because they look cute but I do think they stay fresh better that way. But we have big appetites around here and most foods just don't last long!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Wendi, I am so sorry that awful cold found it's way to you too. ((((HUGS)))) and lots of healing prayers coming your way. You did do very well on your shopping and I'm glad you are now stocked up so you can concentrate on resting and getting better.

    We are working on paying off nasty medical bills ourselves and repaying the loan we had to take out on my life insurance policy a few years back to pay for, what else, another major medical bill. UGH! We also hope to be able to afford and pay cash for a well loved camping trailer or smaller motorhome this year with a battery and inverter so we can go camping with our family and Jeff still is able to use his CPAP machine. He is miserable without it.

    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!