Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Joy in the Journey

Christmas has past and I sit her in the after glow. The games are being played, the new clothes have been washed and put away and until after the first of the year my little family will be together at home. Pure bliss, I tell you!

I have been thinking about the passing year and the one to come for quite a while. I could sit here and tell you how tough 2016 has been, but I won't. Let's face it, we all have issues.  Some days, weeks, months and even years are better then others. As many of you know I am an avid reader. A couple of months ago I was reading a book and one of the characters asked when a quilt would be finished. The other lady laughed and her response was that it wasn't about the finished quilt, but each stitch taken while making the quilt.

I have been thinking about that since I read that book. Honestly, it was on my mind so much that I had to pull the book out of my sell bag and look for that conversation again. There is so much talk now about slowing. I would love to slow life down and honestly I do my best to keep my life slow and simple. The truth of the matter is that life is always moving. If we spend too much time waiting for things to slow down, for the last ten pounds to come off, for a task to be done or things to be perfect then we won't find joy in journey. 

Instead of a word for the coming year I will have a phrase... joy in the journey. No matter how crazy or stressful it might seem I want to savor the moments and find joy in journey. Not to be in such a hurry to get to the end of a task. As a believer I know what the end of my journey will be and my goal is to find joy in that journey.

I will be spending the remainder of this year enjoying my family. I hope you will join me in 2017 as I strive to find joy in the journey! 


7 comments:

  1. Joy in the journey—an excellent prospect and goal. I have been thinking of the word enjoy. I tend to focus on the next task or the next problem so much lately, I sometimes miss enjoying my husband and children.

    Thank you for sharing it. I understand about the quilt. I've one that I've been quilting off and on for over three years on. Perhaps this will be the year that I complete it!

    Just a note since I consider us friends, you've got a word that I assumed was slow misspelled in one of the latter paragraphs. I knew you'd want to correct it.

    Hugs to you!
    Enjoy!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really Love "Joy in The Journey!" Each moment is special and really is a joy. For me it is the focus of right now and being an example of what really matters! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your joy in the journey plan too. I'm going to try to join you.
    For so many reasons, 2016 has been a hard year for most everybody because of politics and everything that goes with it.
    I'm going to try to ignore all that, focus on God and family. Joy sounds really good

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree totally! Life is always moving and changing. I think we can make ourselves discontent like you said by always striving so much for SLOW and etc. Now you know I am BIG BELIEVER and LIVE OUT slow and simple but I think there is a season for all things including slow and even busyness. Balance is key. I have had a hard time with that. Due to having a hard time with this I have at times lost my joy in the journey of life as you mentioned. I am thankful to just embrace where we are. Some days it is slow and some days it is full speed. I try to slow in the speeding days and at least catch myself rushing to pace better. Thanks for the thoughts and love the phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy in the journey...I love it! We all need to take time to do just that! I've been praying and asking for a word, but haven't quite gotten one yet.
    I've packed up Christmas decorations AMD cleaned for hours today. I'm ready for the New Year now...bring it on! ;)

    I hope you have a blessed New Year Wendi!

    Hugs to you,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And not AMD...these phones! Argh!

      Delete
  6. Beautifully put Wendi! I am trying to savor the moments and drink in deeply of the beauty, love and laughter around me. Our Christmas celebrations were lower key this year and I enjoyed them so much. I did not feel "rushed" or stressed out at them. Due to illness and weather, we skipped so many things we had planned on doing and that is ok. It allowed us time to relax more and that was just what we needed. It also gave us time to really appreciate all that we are blessed with. :) Happy journeys my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!