Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Monthly Shopping

When I speak about my monthly grocery shopping I always get some questions. I thought I would give you a peek into what I have done this month.
The first thing I do is make a monthly menu. I base this off of what is in our pantry, the season we are in and the sales flyers for the time I will be doing my shopping. 
This month I went to Meijer, Kroger, Sams and Wal-Mart. I know that some don't have the time or patience for more then one store. I work hard to stretch my dollar so shopping multiple stores works for me. I generally go to Wal-Mart for the items that I don't find on sale. I didn't have a good experience there this month. The cashier had to call over a customer service person and she was nasty about the issue.  I have never had an issue like this before. I am so put off by her attitude and lack of professionalism that I will go to another Wal-Mart or no Wal-Mart at all.  Sams is where I go for most of my meat. I am picky about beef and we like theirs the best. 

I spent a total of $278.67. That is more then I normally spend a month. I bought some convenience foods such as a large bag of pre-made chicken patties and grilled chicken chunks at Sams and some snack foods. I don't think I have mentioned this but after almost 13 years of remission we found out several weeks ago that my mom once again has breast cancer. At the time of my shopping I wasn't sure what was going to happen. I wanted to have some quick things for meals so we wouldn't be tempted to eat out or grab expensive snacks from vending machines. It looks like she will have surgery on November 7th. Praise the Lord that it looks like she won't need chemo!

I also stocked up on some things that were on sale. I ended up with 11 boxes of cereal. That will last us for several months. 
One question I often get is how do I keep things from going bad. Well, I break things down and use my freezer. I purchase enough lunch meat for the month and then break it down into sizes we will eat before it goes bad. Megan loves pepperoni and often takes it in her lunch. I buy enough to have 1/4 lb for each week of the month. 
I found a great deal on ham. It wasn't on my list, but I didn't have any in the freezer so I couldn't pass it up. This $19 ham will yield at least 7 meals for us. Depending on what is left over I might get an additional meal or two from this. I already served one portion for dinner and it was delicious!
The ground beef I purchased will last us for a couple of months. 
From about 11 lbs I was able to make 2 meatloaves, a batch of meatballs which will be 2 meals, 3 hamburger patties, 7 packages of ground beef for chili, tacos, spaghetti sauce, or hamburger helper (I don't use much meat in some of these dishes. So far no one has complained about the lack of meatw) and a bag of cooked ground beef. I use this for pizza toppings. 
I use my monthly menu to make my weekly menu. The week I am showing had a few busy days so there were a couple of quick, easy meals. Once I make the meal I then check it off of the monthly menu. 
August I made all of the meals I had planned. If I don't make a meal then it is pushed until the next month. 

You'll notice that I didn't purchase any milk on my large monthly trip. I didn't need it at that time. Through out the month I will pop in the store for milk, bread and fresh produce. There are months when my large shopping trip is light and then I will watch the weekly sale flyer in order to stock my pantry with those items. No matter how good the deals are this month I won't be purchasing anything except milk, and fresh produce. 

It does take some planning to do this and my shopping takes a full day or two mornings to complete. I like that I don't have to worry about running to store every week. Especially in the winter when I tend to be more of homebody then normal. It also saves me money as I enjoy grocery shopping. It would be easy for me to go each week and fill the cart up. :) I know this isn't for everyone, but it works for me!

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!


3 comments:

  1. Your approach is inspiring, Wendi. I go to the store at least once a week, but that is what works for me most of the time.

    So sorry to hear about your mom. I hope the upcoming surgery goes smoothly and her recovery also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying for your mom.
    I like your approach on your monthly shopping. I go twice a month, but then we do major shopping once a year. But I always shop the sales. Then I buy milk, cheese and bread when needed. I'm 45 minutes from town, so my hubby picks up my essentials so I don't have to run in every time. Saves on gas and money...
    Enjoy your week!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are so organized! I try to stick to the sales at the stores close to me, but I would do better if I had a weekly menu! I love yours--do you have a template for the cute one you showed in this post?
    I was sorry to hear about your Mom--hoping and praying for an uncomplicated surgery and recovery for her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!