Sunday, October 09, 2016

Love Your Life...

Anyone who has read my Day in the Life of Me post know that when I am waiting to pick up Megan I listen to Dave Ramsey. Lately he has been promoting his daughters book. The title has made me pause and really think.

Love Your Life... Not Theirs.
Doesn't that title just speak to you? Now, I can't say anything about the book itself because I haven't read it. I do love life, my life, but...  oh yes, there is a big but coming!

Do you sometimes read a blog and think but my life would be better if I had a home that is as beautiful, large and tidy as her home.

Do you sometimes look at FB and think but I want to go on a vacation like that!

Do you sometimes sit in church and think I am not enough but if I had that many friends coming up to speak to me, invite me out to lunch or over for an afternoon I would feel like enough.

Do you ever look at a magazine and think but if only I were beautiful and thin like these women my live would be better.

Do you leave a friends home and sigh and think but what if my life were as good as hers?
If you say you have never felt any of these things I am not sure I would believe you. We are human and it is hard not to envy what other people have. I can honestly say I have felt all of these things and more!

When you stop and think about each of these things you can see that they are generally not true. That beautiful vacation you wish was yours cost them thousands of dollars that was put on a credit card.

That person who looks like the queen of social at church is fake and gossips about the people around her when they are not there.

Those beautiful, thin women on the magazine covers aren't as beautiful as they seem. If we went to the hairdresser, make-up artist and then used a photo edit program we could get a picture like that also. Well, maybe! ;)
Let me tell you a story. I have a long time friend, L. (Don't worry she doesn't know I have a blog!) We have been friends since 5th grade. For a long time I was jealous of the life she had. She was married, living in a nice house, had a baby, didn't work outside of her home and never had to worry about money. Her husband was a hard worker, very handy and both of them were loved by lots of people. I spent many hours socializing at their home with them and with others. Her life seemed perfect! There lies the problem... no one has a "perfect" life.

She called me one day and told me that she was leaving her husband. She told we what a controlling man he was. How unhappy she had been for a long time. I was heartbroken. For their broken marriage. For their two children. I was also broken for the shattered image that I had of their "perfect" life.  They divorced and I continued to pray for them. L told me about a year after their divorce that they were getting married again. I was rejoicing! Sadly the marriage didn't even last a year.
It is easy to see the life of someone else and let it make you envious and discontent with what God has given you. My point is that if we are always looking on the other side of the fence or for the greener grass we will miss what is right in front of us. Now, there is nothing wrong with gleaning ideas from blogs, magazines, social media and friends unless it causes you to lose sight of your life. So let's start this week off with an attitude of loving our lives... not theirs!

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!


8 comments:

  1. What a nice way to start off the week!

    Our Vicars message this morning was about being grateful, turning the negative, to thankfulness and enjoying our lives where we are.

    I fall into a pity party at times too, so this post and message certainly will inspire me to try and change all that..

    Look forward to your blog posts and hope your week is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post and you are spot on. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Maintain and water your own to keep it healthy and alive! ;)
    God made me unique and I wouldn't change any part of my life to suit others.
    I hope you have a delightful week Wendi!
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen as well....I totally agree...

    Blessings
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well said, I love my life just as it is. It's the life, marriage, children, home and size that the Lord blessed me with and I am so grateful. Blessing sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post!
    If I could write like you....
    Tee hee! Just kidding.
    Hugs to you sweet lady,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!