Monday, October 17, 2016

Christmas Card Pictures

Friday we headed out to a park to take some family pictures.


They turned out great! In fact the above pictures aren't even the ones we are putting on our Christmas card. :)

Several years ago we decided that we couldn't afford the cost of professional pictures. Not only that but we weren't always thrilled with the end result. We experimented taking our own. We use my point and click Cannon and a tripod. I decide what we are wearing and where the pictures will be taken. Chuck then sets up the tripod, positions the camera and sets the timer. 

Once done we both pick out our favorite family picture and one of Megan. We then vote on which one we will use. A perk of an odd number family is that we never have a tie!

Here are some pictures from the past. 

 2015
These pictures were taken against our backyard shed.

2014
We used pictures from our beach vacation this year.

 2013
This background was created against our fence! Chuck clamped our bed quilt to the top of the fence and then we put a table cloth on the ground. We pulled out an existing Christmas decoration and a bench to create our backdrop. 
When you look at the picture above you can see that it is not Christmas card ready. I edit the photos in Picasa 3.  (This can be downloaded at no charge.) It allows me to crop, straighten, and to adjust lighting and such.

If, like us, the cost of professional pictures makes you cringe I encourage you give taking your own pictures a shot. I am certainly not a professional photographer, but it works!


May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

10 comments:

  1. I can't believe you took those yourself! I thought for sure you had a professional photographer! They are all great

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful pictures!!! Great job :-)

    blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas for backgrounds, and I didn't know they weren't professional!


    I just made a Blogging Friends List on my sidebar and you are on it!
    Hugs,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I don't have a tripod or anything. I have been asking for photographer recommendations but they are so pricey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your family pictures turned out beautifully. Great job! Big savings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We plan to take our family photo this Saturday..I am hoping my daughter will take them. If not we will set the timer. I have been a photographer for over 10 years and love doing it. But when it requires me to be in the photo..a timer works. This week I am doing a photo shot of my girls. I am wanting a canvas to go over my couch. Your photo's are great. Have a wonderful week sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of them look amazing! We've done a few professional photos, but actually prefer the ones we do ourselves! Outside, in the mountains, being ourselves! And you can't beat the price. Free!
    I love all your background props!
    Enjoy your week Wendi!
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of them look amazing! We've done a few professional photos, but actually prefer the ones we do ourselves! Outside, in the mountains, being ourselves! And you can't beat the price. Free!
    I love all your background props!
    Enjoy your week Wendi!
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your family is so photogenic! I love all of the pictures that you have taken and I can see why it would be so hard to pick just one. My family on the other hand is not that photogenic in group photos. Someone is always frowning, sticking a finger up their nose (usually a grandson ;) ), looking the wrong way, etc. But hey, it is what it is and I would not trade them for the world. ;)

    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I do agree with you, professional pictures are beyond pricey, and it is better if you can just take the picture yourself - with a little planning and thought, it can be a wonderful experience! How fun that you never have a tie in your family, lol! Love that! Love all the pictures you took :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!