Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Letting Go & Moving On

You know that since we left our previous church I have struggled. Friends, I don't think you know just how much I have struggled. I have been carrying a burden of bitterness and resentment.
This had consumed me and held me hostage for far to long. I was hurt by the treatment of other. Unloving and unkind behavior really hurts.
It had taken me far to long to realize that by holding on to this I was only hurting me. Those that caused me to feel this way are carrying on with life, but I was stuck. I had let the hurt and frustration fester and wasn't handling it the correct way. I finally said "No More!" 

I finally did what I should have done from the beginning. I took it to the Lord. I don't know how many times while teaching Sunday School we talked with the kids about looking to God's Word for answers. 
I began by looking up verses on bitterness. 

Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; Hebrews 12:14-15
Then I moved on to verses about forgiveness. 

Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained. John 20:23

I was holding on so tight to my bitterness, resentment and hurt that I wasn't able to let go. While I was thinking about things and replaying them I was retaining the hurt and letting bitterness take root. 
No amends or words are needed from others. I need to forgive and let go of the bitterness and move on. For no other reason then I need it and it is the right thing to do. 

I won't say that this has been easy.  I went back to that church recently to take my mother-in-law out for lunch. (she works in the office) I thought it might stir up some old feeling, but it didn't. There were some ladies there that I made a little small talk with and you know what? I can feel that the burden toward many at this church is lifting. Oh, how great it is!

 May your day be filled with joy and contentment!



4 comments:

  1. It is hard to move on after being hurt, but I am so glad you sought the Lord and were able to. Have a lovely day Wendi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord, so happy that you taking these steps...and went to His word, allowing God to heal you. Good for you!!!! Have a lovely day Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had to go through this process before with church and all. I am telling you in the end I found I was the one being held captive. It was a freeing revelation that helped me move forward. It sometimes hits me again and began to just change my thought pattern and give it to the Lord. Praise the Lord you have sought the Lord and He is helping you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ((((HUGS)))) Wendi and I do understand. We have been right where you were in the past. Our pastor at the time became very spiritually abusive and went so far as to tell people that they were not being healed of cancer because they did not believe strong enough and if they died and left behind their loved ones, it was their fault. Oh that made me furious and my heart hurt so bad for the poor man who was battling cancer and died shortly after that. He also try to break up marriages (and succeeded with some). He tried that with me and my husband and I set him straight so fast I'm sure his head was spinning. ;) I will not allow anyone to put my husband down and say he is not good enough for me. I had to let go of the anger and hurt I felt too. I remember clearly being at a new and loving church and just bawling as I let it all go and gave it over to God. My husband and other friends who had also left that church were all doing the same thing. We had been terribly hurt ourselves and our hearts ached for those that were too afraid to leave that controlling church and pastor. They also ached for the assistant pastor who gently and with much love confronted that pastor about what he was doing to his congregation and instantly was dismissed and a smear campaign was launched against him and his family. I will admit, it has left scars on my heart and I am still cautious. When I see another pastor taking a trip down that same road, I run!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!