Friday, July 08, 2016

Frugal Friday #6

Made a triple batch of laundry detergent. I now have an almost a full 5 gallon bucket. I put desiccant packets in to prevent moisture. 
The cost of ingredients have increased to make this. I will note when I start using this and how long it last. I need to calculate the cost and see if it would be more cost effective to purchase detergent on sale. 

I saw this trick from Wendy at My Abundant Life. She diluted her hair products with water and then uses a pump to control the amount used. 
I purchased the pump bottles of product when there was a promotion to get a gift card in return for the purchase. I emptied half of the product into an empty bottle and then added water to the remaining. (I marked a line on the bottle for half to take the guess work out.) Gave it a good shake and it was ready to go. 

Here is a tip for those hard to see through bottles. Shine a flashlight through the bottle and you can see how much is in there. 
I haven't noticed any difference in the effectiveness of these. Using the pump does mean I am using less. I keep wanting to give the shampoo another pump. I had gotten use to having a lot of shampoo bubbles. I have resisted and can see no difference in my hair. This is a win, win by stretching the product with water and by the control of the amount used. Yay! 

I am slowly. Very slowly getting my mending/altering done. Almost all of Megan's pants/skirts that don't have an adjustable waist band need to be taken in. A 10 year old with a size 7 waist is hard to buy for!  I can't imagine the cost if I had to take things to an alteration shop. 
Chuck has been working on pressure washing the fence in order to stain it. We had hopes of starting it this weekend, but the rain said otherwise. ;) We had plans to purchase the stain in stages as needed. When we went to purchase the first batch of stain we saw that the store was running a 4th of July promotion that would give us a $40 rebate on each 5 gallons purchased. 
We made the decision to go ahead and purchase 10 gallons. We saved $111.58 by using Chuck's Veterans discount and the rebate.

I added to my pantry. 
Mom gave me a rain check to purchase these beans for $0.33 a can! I added a case (24) for $7.92. Awesome as the best price I had seen was $0.50 a can.  I am not sure how I missed the sale, but I am sure glad that she caught it. 

So there you go. I hope this encourages you to do things to save money. The old adage that every penny counts seems to apply more and more as I see prices of just about everything increase. I find it encouraging to hear about other frugal adventures.

 May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

9 comments:

  1. I love your Frugal Friday posts! They are som of my favorites. Now if only I would take your advice....altho I think I am definitely doing the diluted shampoo in a pump bottle. Sounds like a win/win for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the cost of making detergent.....I can buy it on sale for a lot less..and time wise it costs a lot less for me. I do think a lot of ladies make detergent, because of the chemicals used in otc laundry products.
    I dilute Dawn for my beloveds dirty grimy hands, and it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! These frugal posts are great, and are inspiring me to be more intentional about our spending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing great! That's a great idea to dilute shampoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Frugal Friday post. I haven't been to frugal lately, thanks for the inspiration to start again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendi,

    What great a great pantry deal. I have never tried diluted my shampoo. I have our soap. Hmm..I may check it out. I stopped making my own detergent because after I calculated from the recipe I had I decided it was cheaper to stock up at sales.

    But to be honest I actually like the way it washes our clothes. So, I am torn. I do think probably it is cheaper but I use more than the recipe calls for because my clothes were not getting fresh, clean looking. So, I added a full scoop besides 2 tablespoons.

    So, if I did what it recommended it probably would be cheaper. But I think the start up can be costly if you do not have those things in your home already.

    Blessings friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are indeed doing a great job. Any way you can save is always a good thing and a blessing too. I use to make my own laundry soap, but like everyone else, it was getting to costly and is cheaper to buy all ready made soap on sale. I've never diluted my shampoo though, so I'll be trying that.
    I always try to hit the sales to fill up my pantry. Its so nice to have it stocked.
    My hubby and I made 43 pints of mulberry jelly and syrup and also cherry syrup today. We are so blessed to have those fruit trees on our property. Today was a very productive day!
    Enjoy your weekend, Wendi!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're doing great! Congratulations. I find that diluting my shampoo, when I think to, helps me, also. I notice no difference except MORE bubbles! I use Tresemme. It's the best I've ever used to soften my hair.

    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you did great on finding those sales items! I used to dilute our shampoo when the boys all still lived at home and it really did help stretch it. I still dilute our hand washing soap because I noticed that diluted or undiluted, the family still pumps the same amount out. ;)

    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!