Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Hello March!

It's a new month. Are you ready! I certainly am as I know each day brings us closer to warmer days!! Not that I want to wish my life away, but I am itching for some time outside. I have been to the store for my big shopping trip. Actually four stores as I am working to stretch that grocery money! The new menu has been made.  
The budget is complete. We did receive some disappointing news budget wise on Friday. Chuck found out that there will be no pay increases this year. Ugh! I guess we shouldn't be overly surprised as his company closed a facility in Virginia and California toward the end of 2015. Oh well, I will be grateful he has a job!

We have tried using the envelope system. I find that it doesn't always work. I don't like to carry a large amount of cash with me and keep forgetting to grab the envelope before I leave. We have come up with a solution. The money for gas is put on a gift card and then groceries and eating out funds will be left in the bank. I will carry a note card (thanks for the idea Laine!) with the amount available for eating out and groceries. I will adjust the amount as it is spent. 
It is time to do some Spring cleaning! I used a Hallmark program on the computer to create a blank list for this purpose. Sure a piece of notebook paper would work just fine, but I do like pretty things!
The first room to tackle will be the kitchen. 
I have been feeling a little bit of discontent around here. Usually when that happens I need to declutter and spruce things up a bit. I will tackle it one area, one room at a time. 

I am looking forward to a month were I thrive!
May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

6 comments:

  1. That's a great idea to keep track of the money you have left! I also tried the envelope system in the past, but, like you, I don't feel comfortable carrying around a bunch of cash. I like the idea of the envelope system though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good that you do a menu for the month. I normally just buy a lot of meat in bulk and then plan from there. We did stock up shopping this past weekend and that was wonderful to have my pantry stocked back up. It's nice to shop from my pantry. And then when I need fresh fruit and veggies I run to the store while I'm in town. Since I make most everything from scratch, this system seems to work for me.

    I tried the envelope thing once too and it didn't work for me either. The gift cards is a great idea! Then this way, you have that money allotted for those specific things.

    I have pretty shopping and chores lists too. With a house full of boys, you got to have pretty things! :)

    I hope you have a great day!
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post very inspiring to me. Have a warm day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great planning! Time for some Spring Cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I desperately need to do a deep Spring cleaning within the next couple of weeks. I have a friend coming over for a girl's night (she is a single mom and her child will be with the other parent that weekend) complete with wine, hot tubbing and watching a fun movie. She is just going to stay the night here and not have to make the half and hour drive home. The guest bedroom has been taken over by "stuff" since I am in the middle of a pantry reorganization project and our big pantry is housed in the closet of that room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. March is the first month I have done a menu plan this year. It feels good to be back in the swing of things. I hate winging it. I do my menu for the entire month and then tweak what I need to as we go along.

    I love the note card idea! I also struggle with the envelope system but what works for me now is an envelope for food (groceries) and everything else is just written down in a notebook so I know how much I have budgeted for each category and just subtract from that as I spend something. Thankfully I have a good memory, most amounts are pretty well set after doing this for a while and honestly I just don't shop that much, thankfully :) Have you tried Every Dollar yet?

    Spring Cleaning is underway here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!