Monday, February 01, 2016

It's a New Month

I don't know about you, but I find it hard to believe that it is February already. January usually seems to drag on. Not this year! Part of it could be that it has been a mild winter in Central Indiana. Other thing might be that I have been getting out and about this month. My parents are great about calling about once a week and inviting me along while they run an errand or two. I think that along with the weather has keep the winter blues away.

So how did you do last month? Not too bad around here.
I have closed out the January budget. Thanks to receiving our state tax refund it wasn't quite as tight as we initially thought. It gave us a little (just a little) bit of wiggle room. I took a hard look to see where I need to tighten things. The grocery budget and eating out top the list. Surprise! Surprise! We did pretty good on eating on, but we need to do better. I might have to pass up some of those good deals to stock my pantry. Sticking to my grocery budget is a must! I also need to find a way to drop the electric bill. I don't know why, but it has been a lot higher the last two months. Winter shouldn't make a big difference since we have gas heat. Something to work on!

I am not quite ready for February. I don't have the new budget made. I worked on it some yesterday. I wasn't feeling my best yesterday as something I ate Saturday gave me terrible heart burn. I felt miserable all of yesterday.  Thankfully, it is better today. Anyway, I will get the budget finished today so Chuck and I can go over it tonight. Do you and your husband handle your finances together? If not, I encourage you to do so. 

I use to handle everything. Then I got to the point where it was too much for me. For a variety of reasons such as a tight budget and loose spending. Now I make the budget and Chuck and I sit down and go over it and he basically approves it. We will then sit down a couple of times a month to make sure we are still on the same page. It has done wonders to relieve the pressure I was feeling and we are certainly now on the same financial page.

I keep my budget in Excel, but am trying something different this month. Has anyone used the every dollar budget? I keep hearing about it on Dave Ramsey and thought to try it out. When I mentioned it to Chuck he said he was going to mention it to me. Great minds think alike!

I did manage to get the menu ready for the month. Now I need to finish the grocery list and hit the store one day this week. 
I went the entire month without drinking any of my beloved Diet Coke!
I won't say it has been easy. There have been times when I really wanted on. I did have a couple glasses of Sprite this month. Not a habit I want to get into though. I don't want to trade one habit for another!

Ready or not February is here so lets get working on looking well to ways of our household!

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

8 comments:

  1. I gave up my regular soda habit 2 years ago. Best thing I ever did for my health. Be careful with artificial sweeteners they cause a lot of health problems and can be just as addictive! It's so hard breaking habits but sometimes it can be so good for our health :-) I find groceries are so expensive, I shop different places trying to get the best deals. I'm missing my garden right now :-) Have a great week!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has never wanted anything to do with the finances. Period. After 18 years of marriage, I have accepted it and wrote out any info he could possibly need should anything happen to me. You have to pick your battles :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always done our budget...In the last couple of years Hubby is trying to take it over. I am seeing late notices here and there..ugh! His answer is " I thought I paid that??". He over looks things very easily. I am ready to take it back over and keep us on track. Not sure if working together will work...well see. I will not know if my electric bill will be lower until the 15th of February. I hand wash the dishes, dry only sheets and towels, keeping everything turn off and unplug, careful how much clothes we are dirtying up. We are still doing quite well in these areas. It may help or not. I am getting ready to pray over our budget ~ for God's leading in this area. Have a wonderful day Wendi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!!! No diet coke!!! Good JOB!!!! That was a hard habit I broke a few years ago. I was having horrible headaches. When I got rid of it....felt like I was coming off a major drug...SMILES...no more headaches. Until I picked up another habit....coffee, loaded in creamer.....sugar. It was more like milk coffee. :)

    I am also feeling ya on skipping some of the pantry stocks and stick to budget. I am trying to make this simple and so far it has been fine but I have these grand ideas about stocking and I just don't have it in the budget. It is either buy what I have planned to cook or stock pantry.

    I also can't believe how quick January went. I am not ready for February either, but it is here. So, I guess I better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the Every Dollar app on my phone but haven't used it yet. I was just thinking yesterday that I want to start using it this month. I do most of the budget but my husband looks things over - very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! January sure did fly by, crazy to think its the first of February. Last month was very busy for us, so I'm hoping it will slow down a but thus month. My birthday is the 14th and my oldest sons is the 16th, so we celebrate all month! ☺
    My hubby use to do the budget a long time ago and now that I stay home, I've taken over. Less stress for him. We do go over the budget and pray over it monthly. That seems to help a lot.
    I've never heard of the Every dollar app, I might have to check that out. Every little bit helps these days.
    I quit drinking soda a long time ago. All the sugars were making my tummy hurt, so I just went off it and I drink more water now. Some days I feel water logged. Lol! Just drink it in moderation and you should be good!
    Enjoy your day Wendi!
    Hugs, Amy
    PS. Lemon water helps with heartburn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! January sure did fly by, crazy to think its the first of February. Last month was very busy for us, so I'm hoping it will slow down a but thus month. My birthday is the 14th and my oldest sons is the 16th, so we celebrate all month! ☺
    My hubby use to do the budget a long time ago and now that I stay home, I've taken over. Less stress for him. We do go over the budget and pray over it monthly. That seems to help a lot.
    I've never heard of the Every dollar app, I might have to check that out. Every little bit helps these days.
    I quit drinking soda a long time ago. All the sugars were making my tummy hurt, so I just went off it and I drink more water now. Some days I feel water logged. Lol! Just drink it in moderation and you should be good!
    Enjoy your day Wendi!
    Hugs, Amy
    PS. Lemon water helps with heartburn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All this talk about giving me sodas must be a kick in the pants for me to get back on that bandwagon. I've given up diet Dr Pepper several times but always go back. Maybe I should try lemon water.
    Kudos to you for staying true all January!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!