Friday, February 12, 2016

Frugal Friday #4

It has been quite chilly this week. That has made me rather lazy. All I have wanted to do is snuggle under a blanket and read. That certainly isn't blog worthy! Let's get started on the ways I saved this week.

Megans' Valentine Party is this afternoon. She used valentines that I purchased several years ago on clearance. Normally $3.00 and I purchased them for $0.30. I am not sure there are enough left for next year so I will have to keep my eye on the clearance rack.
I needed a dozen cookies to bring for the class party. Instead of purchasing cookies I whipped up a batch. Cookies made at home are certainly less expensive then store bought. Funny note on the cookies. As most of you know Megan attends a small, wonderful Christian school. On the form that came home asking parents to bring in treats it had in parentheses for some items "store bought not neccessary." I found that funny since so many schools (especially public) won't let you bring in homemade treats and in some cases no food treats at all. (Yes, I understand food allergies.)
One of the little guys I use to watch was a little under the weather so I was asked to watch him. It brought in a little extra cash to use toward our debt.  It also made my heart happy when he ran into my arms!
Once dinner is complete I generally pack Chuck his lunch container before we eat. This ensures he has lunch which is a huge savings! He walked out without his lunch one day and didn't have a back up (he tries to keep a can of soup in his desk) and spent over $6 for a sandwich, chips and a drink. I can't imagine spending that everyday!
       
I used $20 of my grocery money to stock up my pantry. These were on sale for $1.25 a bag and are nomally $2.05 a bag. I ended up with 16 bags. 
So there you go. I hope this encourages you to do things to save money. The old adage that every penny counts is cetainly true. We have seen the "fruit" of our frugal habits as we were able to pay off some of my medical debt this month. I find it ecouraging to hear about other frugal adventures.

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

7 comments:

  1. I make my husband lunch to take as well. It is a huge money saver. Not to mention healthier! That was a great buy on noodles. Egg noodles are very versatile. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I packed my husbands lunch and snacks for so many years and now that he is retired, we are switching our way of eating to cooking enough that supper time to have leftovers for several more meals.
    His former coworkers most all brought in a fast food breakfast and then went out for a fast food lunch everyday. I don't understand even being able to stomach fast food that often and the expense! I'm guessing your husband has coworkers that do the exact same thing.

    We have not had a particularly frugal week as we spent part of our tax refund on a new vacuum, wood for a big project, a few tools and other assorted things, But except for those purchases, we've eaten at home, and all those standard frugal things.

    Have a good weekend Wendi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been a successful week for you! I agree about wanting to stay covered and read a book. I try to keep the house at 68 to save money, but it gets me feeling too cold to get much done without a lot of layers on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can't bring homemade treats to Jonathan's school :( I am taking whipped cream and cherries in today for their Valentine ice cream sundae bar. Not too frugal! However, we did reuse his Valentine box and I made his Valentine cards. We have eaten at home most days this week. We had a Chick-Fil-A breakfast one morning because I had to get J in to his orthodontist quickly as they only had one open appointment and he had a broken wire, and one evening we ate at a chili parlor for his school's fundraiser night. I set aside a certain amount each month for eating out and so far we are doing really well. May have some left over in the envelope this month! It's going to be a cold week-end, enjoy a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Wendi.

    Our local thrift store was 90% off the other day because they are closing to remodel. I bought several things including two packages of valentines for future years (one was unopened--20 cents, the other still had 20 in it for just a nickel!)

    We've had a lot of snow here, too, including our FIFTH snow day earlier this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so excited yesterday when I found grass fed beef patties for 50% off. I was getting ready to call my friend and let here know about the find so she could get some when I realized there were only 4 packages left so I decided to get them all. :)

    Starting about 2nd grade my daughter's school instituted a no homemade treat policy. It threw me for a loop as up to that point I'd never bought baked goods from a bakery. They are so much more expensive and everyone ends up bringing the same thing (usually what's on sale!) And I refused to bring Oreos or Chips ahoy to a party. I really let it get in my craw for the longest time. But I've gotten over it. It's nice to hear there are schools out there who still allow homebaked goods. (I understand the allergy thing too.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done great! I remember when it was special to have something store bought. Now homemade is special. It's a new generation. My thrifty week post will go live tomorrow morning. Just finishing it up.

    Please drop by and say hello!
    ஐღLauraღஐ
    Harvest Lane Cottage
    ...doing what I can with what I've got where I am
    on a short shoestring budget!
    ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!