Friday, February 05, 2016

Frugal Friday #3

I started the week off with a shopping trip. I withdrew cash for our monthly groceries and hit the store. I ended up going to three different stores.
While at Kroger there was an employee walking around with a cart load of bread. It was nearing the expiration date and each customer received one item for free! (I ended up with two as my mom was with me and didn't want hers.) I also scored some cooking spray from the markdown isle for $0.99 a can. I had just purchased a can on my WalMart trip for $1.99! Those will go into the pantry for later use.

I prayed on my way out that morning that my money would stretch and I would make good shopping decisions. I was happy to see that I had almost half of my grocery budget left!

While making cornbread to go with our chili I had just a little bit left in the milk jug. You know just enough to irriate the next person if you put it back into the frig. ;) I didn't want to waste it so I opened the new jug and added the remaining milk.
 I know this a minor thing, but it falls into "waste not, want not."

I use to go and have my eyebrows done at the salon. It is one of the things I have given up so we can pay debt down. I started using tweezers and I wasn't a big fan of solely doing it that way. My solution was to purchase this kit.
Around here it cost between $6-7  to have your brows professionally done. I was able to purchase this for a little over $5. I should be able to use this kit for months saving a ton of money.

So there you go. I hope this encourages you to do things to save money. The old adage that every penny counts seems to apply more and more as I see prices of just about everything increase. I find it ecouraging to hear about other frugal adventures.

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

11 comments:

  1. How nice of the store to giveaway the bread instead of putting it in the dumpster. Happy customers = returning customers.

    Hope you have a good and thrifty weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Wendi. You know I love these kinds of lists and strategies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thrifty week. Go girl!
    Please drop by and say hello!
    ஐღLauraღஐ
    Harvest Lane Cottage
    ...doing what I can with what I've got where I am
    on a short shoestring budget!
    ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! You have to let me know if the kit works. I have given mine up and I dislike tweezing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice surprise on the bread. I too shop at several stores to stretch my dollars. They are all close to me so I don't travel far which helps us out quite a bit. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure our Kroger's does that? I have to pay attend more. I have 10 more days to see if all I have done will save on the electric. I have to admit that I did use the dishwasher once and dry a large load of blue jeans. Well see. Great job on savings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your Frugal Friday posts! They encourage me. I, too, get my eyebrows "done" and pay $8. I am going to check out that kit! Thanks for the encouragement you offer each week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great shopping trip . Who wouldn't love Free !!! I love your posts. Wishing you a wonderful weekend ~ Blessings Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good to get free bread. You are doing very good with making every penny count. Jessica (my oldest daughter) does my eyebrows for me. We use a hair removal product we get at our Dollar General Store. It costs $3.00 here and will last us about three months. She uses it too. So far, it is working very well and we are both happy with the money we are saving. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is something I need to pay more attention to. I'm sure I could cut way back on grocery spending. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do the same thing with my milk! It all adds up, I always say. I might start shopping at Kroger if they are giving out free bread. :) What great timing! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!