Monday, January 04, 2016

Planning

Not only is it a new year, but a new month. That means it is time to have your plans in place.

I worked on a menu for the month.
I don't follow this by date. I use it to choose what I want to put on my weekly menu.

Once I made my monthly menu I went through my pantry to see what items I don't have and made my grocery list that way. Generally depending on funds I will either do a large monthly shopping trip or do it bi-weekly.
This month I was able to do a large shopping trip. We are set for the month other then a quick trip in for milk and fresh produce.

My least favorite thing to plan is the budget. We sat down and worked it out the day after Christmas. We knew that this year would be lean, but I think the reality of seeing it on paper was a little sobering for us both. Now we will revisit it weekly to adjust anything and hopefully stick to it. :)

Once that was done we cleaned out the filing cabinet and put a large pile of stuff through the shredder. When we added the cabinets to our third bedroom we moved the computer into the closet. Some time was spent hanging up buletin boards and making the space a little more orgainized. Not pretty, but it is functional.
Yes, those are my books. Many I keep and read over and over. I was forunate to receive many hand me downs from my mother-in-law and quite a few for Christmas. Yes!

This is the verse we choose to focus on when it comes to our finances.
Little by little we will conquer the medical debt and little by little we will build our savings back up.

The last thing we planned was projects. We both made a list of the top five things we want to see done this year. It was fun to compare our list.
The list have been combined and we are working toward finishing the first item on the list. Which is to complete our long time project of finishing the garage.
It is super close. There was so much going on the last couple of months that we ended up taking a break. We will both be doing a happy dance when it is done! Are you a planner? Have you made your plans for the month/year?

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

11 comments:

  1. Great goals. Yes.. little by little. We paid off all our credit card debit on Dec 31. yet, it is never to late to start a project. It doesn't matter if it is Jan or maybe even May. So I encourage all who read your wonderful blog to take to heart the quotes and mindfulness! Keep this positive good going! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to see you are feeling up to blogging again---both physically and mentally! I, too, need to make plans for the year. I am running behind for the month! I love the scripture you have chosen for your finances and think I will adopt that. Our finances, while not abundant, are ok for now but I have no retirement and that is a sobering fact that has me started on a savings plan and tweaking my finances to save all I can. I love your inspiring posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also happy you are well enough to be back to blogging and homemaking.
    Yes, I am a planner. I've redone our budget notebook with some free printable calendar sheets and I think we are adjusting to our new reduced income OK.
    That is a very true Bible verse. My husbands last 20 years of employment, he put in funds to a 401k every payday. It really paid off, slowly but surely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slow and steady is how we are paying off my medical bills from last January. I am so thankful we are not having to deal with doctors and hospitals back home because they use medical billing companies to collect their money and they set the amount of what you have to pay each month. I'll be thankful when both are paid off.

    Budgeting is something that drives me nuts (I worry too much), I'm thankful my husband takes care of all the reevaluating and lets me know what I have/not have to spend.

    I love your weekly menu sheet, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still working on our plans for the year! We have big financial goals for the year too. Go big or go home, we say. LOL. 2015 was a costly year for us so we too are working on rebuilding our savings.

    I like your simple list for home projects. I just jotted a few down for me. I think it will help me focus. There is so much we can or could do but having a few selected to focus on may help a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With Christmas behind us,and back in the swing of home-school. We are now in a seven night revival at our church, ending this Saturday. We will be helping our daughter on their house they are building, so they can get in soon. So with that said, I have not had much time to think about goals. I am a planner, it hard to get hubby on board with me sometimes. I plan to start working them out on paper in my spare time. I am living the word I do not like "BUSY". Thanks for this inspiring post. So Glad to see you blogging once again. Take it slow. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. What great goals. I like to say I am a planner. I try hard to plan but following through has been a issue for me. :)

    I love the nook you created. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great goals you have, Wendi!
    As you saw on my blog, I do plan for meals and we do some project/budget planning. We always try to do one big project each year, with the hail damage we got last summer, we have to do a new roof and finish our covered porch. But, we have to wait for a bit warmer weather to complete them.
    I hope you are feeling better!
    Enjoy your week!
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great goals you have, Wendi!
    As you saw on my blog, I do plan for meals and we do some project/budget planning. We always try to do one big project each year, with the hail damage we got last summer, we have to do a new roof and finish our covered porch. But, we have to wait for a bit warmer weather to complete them.
    I hope you are feeling better!
    Enjoy your week!
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 2016 to you! I love your idea of having just five things to focus on. I love finding books at Good Will. I found quite a few the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness you got a lot accomplished. I just did my budget too, hate it, but has to be done. My husband and I are actually working on a snowball plan to get rid of our debt, it really is sobering when you see the numbers on paper. UGH!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!