Friday, January 22, 2016

Frugal Friday #1

When I go to the grocery store I always look in the clearance meat section. I found some reduced pork chops and was able to put three meals worth into the freezer. This was a great week for me as I also found some reduced ground beef another day. 
I stayed home as often as possible this week. I drove carpool each day (we live close to Megans' school), went out with my parents one day (my dad drove), went to Bible study on Wednesday evening and took the van for an oil change.  I searched for a coupon before the van went in.  I saved $15 off the regular price. As of this morning the gas tank was almost full. Yes! (Generally, Chuck fills the gas tank in the van on the way home from church on Sunday.)
I knew that we were not going to eat all of the leftovers so I pulled them out to put into the freezer. 
I had leftover roast that I cut up that will show up on the menu next week as hot beef sandwiches. There were a bit of rice and chicken stew left. I placed those into container and will pull them out of the freezer for a quick lunch for myself. I also divided up the rest of the spaghetti sauce I made on Sunday and now have two meals worth in the freezer. 
While out with my parents we stopped by the store. I needed potatoes and they were $4.99 for 10 lbs. I decided to pass and then Mom mentioned that they were on special for $1.99 at another store. Dad graciously took us there to get potatoes. 
Chuck took a look at the carpet cleaner and was able to get it working! He spent about five minutes on it and said it was something minor. I am thankful for a man that is willing to care for our things. 
So there you go. I hope this encourages you to do things to save money. The old adage that every penny counts seems to apply more and more as I see prices of just about everything increase. I find it ecouraging to hear about other frugal adventures. 

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!




5 comments:

  1. Hey there! Gosh what a great deal on the meat. Any deal is worth it now with the cost of food (well everything ) rising in price! If I have large quantities of leftoversome like you, I freeze mine as well or I give some to my MIL for her and my FIL to enjoy. I make almost all my meals from scratch and it's nice to have a fully stocked pantry. I also can jellies, meats, veggies when they are in season and cheap. I have 3 boys and a hubby to feed and food seems to disappear rather quickly. ;) So, if I can stretch meals and learn to cook simple it really does help on the grocery bill. Oh and my hubby can fix anything, so that helps. I will never need a new washer or dryer or fridge, because he can fix it with a part that is way cheaper than a new appliance. :)
    Enjoy your weekend Wendi!
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Gosh what a great deal on the meat. Any deal is worth it now with the cost of food (well everything ) rising in price! If I have large quantities of leftoversome like you, I freeze mine as well or I give some to my MIL for her and my FIL to enjoy. I make almost all my meals from scratch and it's nice to have a fully stocked pantry. I also can jellies, meats, veggies when they are in season and cheap. I have 3 boys and a hubby to feed and food seems to disappear rather quickly. ;) So, if I can stretch meals and learn to cook simple it really does help on the grocery bill. Oh and my hubby can fix anything, so that helps. I will never need a new washer or dryer or fridge, because he can fix it with a part that is way cheaper than a new appliance. :)
    Enjoy your weekend Wendi!
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot!!!!! Great job and the meat and potatoes! What a great way to utilize leftovers. I will have to take heed. :) Blessings!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm new to your blog and I am loving it! It sounds like you and I are very like minded i so many ways. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited to see gas for less than $1.50 a gallon. That really helps with my husband's long commute. Good job looking for ways to maximize your budget

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!