Monday, January 18, 2016

An Afternoon Well Spent

Sunday we oversleep. Well, maybe I should say I oversleep. I woke up well after nine and couldn't believe it. I walked into the kitchen and Chuck was unloading the dishwasher. When I asked why he didn't wake me up he said he thought I needed the sleep. I had gone to bed with a bad headache so I probabley did. He is a sweet man and I am thankful for him. 

There would be no church for us as we wouldn't have time to shower, eat and make it on time. We took our time getting ready and then headed out for a quick trip to Sams. There was some reduced for quick sale meat so we stocked up. We purchased two packages of ground beef and a package of strip steaks. 

Once home I spent the afternoon taking care of things in the kitchen. After a lunch of homemade pizza I got busy. I had some bread I had been saving and knew I would need bread crumbs so that was first on my list.
Then Chuck helped me to wrap the meat. 
I ended up with 14 packages of ground beef, four strip steaks, three hamburger patties and a meatloaf for the freezer. I will share that I ended up with so many packages of hamburger because I only use 1/2 lb at a time. It is a way to stretch the budget and Chuck doesn't notice the reduced amount of meat. The strip streaks are a treat as we don't buy many because they are expensive. If I don't need leftovers for Chuck to take for lunch each steak should feed all three of us. 
I used some of the ground beef to make meatballs. Part of this double batch of spaghetti sauce will be for dinner one night and then the rest will go in the freezer. We should get three meals from this. 
I also made a batch of bread dough. I made rolls for dinner and then froze the rest. 
Now I can pull them out to thaw and rise and have fresh rolls in a jiffy! I know they don't look pretty, but I hope they will look better as I practice more. 
As this was going on dinner was cooking away in the oven. I feel like it was a few hours well spent!

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

6 comments:

  1. How very nice to get all that meat! It's so worth it to make a trip to Sam's on occasion, just to stock up... I think your rolls look amazing (even if they are just balls of dough) I never thought to make my own bread crumbs, I will have to do that!
    I hope you have a delightful week, Wendi!
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very nice to get all that meat! It's so worth it to make a trip to Sam's on occasion, just to stock up... I think your rolls look amazing (even if they are just balls of dough) I never thought to make my own bread crumbs, I will have to do that!
    I hope you have a delightful week, Wendi!
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely day!!!!! I love days like this. Even though productive they seem pleasant and slow! I love it. How do you make the bread crumbs? Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendi, you had a wonderful productive day. Love reading about it. And inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy seeing my stocked-up freezer after I've spent an afternoon dividing out meals. I recently bagged up a bunch of crockpot dinners and knowing I have those whenever we need them is satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An afternoon well spent indeed! I love having dinner items ready to pull from the freezer (the rolls are a great idea especially!).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!