Monday, April 13, 2015

One Room Schoolhouse

Megan adores the Little House books. You can find her making a covered wagon out of kitchen chairs and blankets, galloping through the yard on her horse, pulling out her rifle to hunt and building a homestead with Lincoln Logs. I received notice that there was a field trip to a one room schoolhouse with costumes. Yes! Just the encouragement needed to make a 1800's outfit. Thanks to my wonderful mom this became a reality.

 Saying Megan was delighted is an understatement.
 Lunch was packed in a cute pail and it was time to hit the road.

This desk is original to the schoolhouse. It was the only one they could salvage. The cool thing is that it is mixed in with the reproductions and is still in use today.
 

 They used pen and ink for all of their school work.
 Can you guess the state?

Here a little history of the pledge. The above version was used from 1892-1922. In 1923 my flag was changed to the flag and United Sates was added. It wasn't until 1954 that under God was added. Interesting!
 Everyone made a batch of homemade butter to enjoy on crackers.
This has been declared the best field trip ever! Her favorite part was recess where they played with wooden toys and tried out stilts.
The third grade class of 1894 gives me hope for the future!

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!
  

5 comments:

  1. That is so neat, Wendi. What a special field trip. I've always enjoyed the Little House books, too, and look forward to introducing them to my kids soon.

    M's costume is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this post! I know Kathleen would love to have an experience like this :-) The outfit is lovely. Have a wonderful day!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Wendi ... Oh my goodness, such a wonderful time. I love all that you have shared here. Thank you for visiting my "little space" and for your kind words. Have a blessed week. Hugs ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan will never forget this outstanding field trip. We are a big little house fan also. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite adorable...Both of my children are adopted too..They are grown now...From Miami comes my son who is have Cuban..from Orlando comes my daughter who is all American mix including three kinds of Indian. Adoption makes my heart sing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!