Monday, January 05, 2015

What's New in the New Year?

It is that time again for a fresh start. As much as I love Christmas I am always happy, and maybe a little bit relieved, when my little home is put back together.
After the tree is put away it always looks simple and fresh.  Just what this girl likes!  So what is happening in the New Year?  Well.... we have some huge financial goals.
I won't go into them, but we have made step one toward those goals.  Do you know what the black and gray box is?
Why yes, that is an old fashioned TV antenna.  I have been gently talking to Chuck about how much we are paying for cable and planting the thought that we should cut the cable.  We received a new bill and it had increased by almost $50/month.  I called to try and get it lowered and they were only willing to lower it by $5.  Chuck was in the kitchen while I was having this conversation and he said cancel it.  He didn't have to tell me twice!

Honestly, we get more channels then I thought we would.  I am not missing cable one bit! Once we start reaping the financial benefit I know we won't miss it.

I am starting the New Year with a drawer full of new dish towels.

See, it really doesn't take much to make me happy! :)  My old ones were fraying on the sides and driving me crazy.  So I put towels on everyones list and thankfully that is the one item they all got me.

For the last couple of months there has been an ongoing conversation of what we want to see for 2015.  I think the word that sums up what we want most for this year is change.  We will be working on financial change, eating change (saying good bye to lots of processed foods),  and spritual change (digging deeper into God's word), and of course there will be plenty of home changes as we work through our list of projects.

I am looking forward to seeing what the new year brings!

On another note if you looking for an encouraging blog may I point you to this one.  I do not personally know Cari, but we have many mutual friends and we attend the same church as her parents. I have been reading her blog for a long, long time.  I stumbled across this blog and started reading not long before they lost their daughter.  Her faith has been tested many, many times.  Most recently with the loss of her husband.  So tune in and be ready to cry, smile, and be encouraged and uplifted.  She has shared some pretty heavy stuff, but because you can see that she not only talks the talk, but walks the walk, you are able to see past the hard stuff and focus on what an awesome God we have.

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!
  

9 comments:

  1. I hope all your new changes bring the results you want.
    we cut our cable in 2009 and it was one of the best financial choices for us. We have the antenna and also use a Roku to watch most anything on demand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feels good doesn't it!!
    After I quit my job at the start of summer, I went out and cancelled the cable and land line telephone that we never used.. and then I went to our cell phone provider and reduced our bill by 80.00 ~ in total we saved 200.00 a month. : ) I didn't feel as bad not working.

    Back in November we paid our house off.. I gotta tell you, I am still have anxiety attacks thinking that I haven't paid the mortgage bill in a few months. lol. Just not used to it yet!

    Happy saving!!!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. May God guide you and bless you to meet your goals. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!!! We were cable free for the 5 years it took us to get debt free. Unfortunately, cable came back last year when we moved. They tried to raise our rates this year, but we took in all our boxes ready to give them back. They gave us 6 months free use of a dvr and no increase, but if they try to increase us again, it's over. I don't need them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have an identical antenna! We use a Roku and have Netflix and Hulu Plus subscriptions. The Roku was the highest priced item; we purchased it with Swagbucks a few years ago. The Roku is a one time purchase; no monthly fees! The 2 subscriptions run about $16 a month and we can watch just about everything we want this way.

    I am in frugal mode too. We have some big financial goals this year. One in particular is a BHAG(big hairy audacious goal) which hopefully with time I will be able to share about on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Wendi and Happy New Year!

    May God truly bless you in this new year and give you all the desires of your heart. Change is always a good place to start!

    (I love new dish towels and clothes too)

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have Directv and I would love to get rid of it but my husband likes it for all the hockey he watches (along with other sports). We don't go out much to the movies or anything so I don't push too much. We did get Netflix for Christmas and have enjoyed having that. Maybe one day we'll get rid of the Directv - a girl can hope! We have huge financial goals this year too. Best of luck with yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always good to get the home back to normal again after Christmas. We have been with out a TV and cable for 20 years. And we have never miss it. We cut off the cable and toss the TV. We have more family time.. Our goal is to get debt free. And stay that way.
    Love all the colors of your dish towels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Wendi. I just wanted to let you know that I am hopefully back to the blogging world. I certainly have missed everyone. I made a new post today (www.merryheartcrafts.com) Come by and visit. My comment is showing up under merryheartfarm but I am not using that blog. I am using my old one. It is back in operation. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!