Thursday, November 06, 2014

A Little Project...

About six years ago a neighbor of my parents put these tables out on the curb. Mom knew that I needed new tables and got them for me. I disliked the high gloss finish, but they had good bones, and met our needs.  I liked that they are solid wood.  It is really hard to find solid wood furniture unless you want to pay big bucks.  While we shopped for a new sofa and chairs all we saw was pressed wood junk.
They were in pretty good condition until they arrived here.  Many years ago I watched my niece and nephew and while making lunch one day I turned around and saw that my niece had taken a toy fork and scratched the table top.  Although I wasn't happy I knew that a makeover for these were on the to do list.  
I never imagined it would take so long for these to make it to the top of the list.  That is just the way life goes.  I spent several days sanding off the hidious varnish.  
Chuck took the tops off so I could easily stain them.  I used four coats of cherry stain and then two coats of a satin varnish.  
The table bottoms were primed.  
The weather changed so I had to move the rest of the process into the garage.  Boo!  Two coats of antique white was applied. 
I then rubbed on some of the cherry stain to tone down the antique white paint.  It makes a very subtle change that really doesn't show up in the picture.
All done!  
I love how light and fresh they look.  
 

Now for the price break down...
Tables...           Free
Stain...              Free (left over from a previous project)
Paint...              Free (left over from a previous project)
Sandpaper...   $3.27
New Knobs...  $5.90

"New" tables for $9.17.  Not bad!  I plan to let them sit in the garage until this weekend.  I am going to clean the living room carpets before I bring them back in.  I can't wait to get them back into my home! Once I get everything settled I will share another picture.

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!
  

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful tables...you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Good job refinishing those tables--they're so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOOVE this, Wendi!!! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. It is hard to find good solid wood furniture.

    Have a wonderful day.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uau, they look great!
    God bless you and have a wonderful week!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you did to those tables. Isn't it nice to change something up a bit into something new and refreshed?

    Very nice!

    I hope you have a lovely day!

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!