Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Rainy Day Jelly

Okay, so that isn't the actual name of the jelly. :)  That is just the way I spent a rainy afternoon.  I really wanted to curl up with a book or watch some mindless television but I was productive instead.
Remember when we made applesauce?  There were all of those peels and cores left that didn't need to go to waste.  You know the saying "waste not, want not."
 
All that great stuff that most people just toss away went into a pot with some water.  It cooked down and made a wonderful liquid.
Then it was run through a sieve and all of that wonderful flavor was squeezed out of the peels and cores.
Many times, and I do mean many times the juice was squeezed through cheese cloth.  It is at this point that you can continue on to make jelly or save it for later.  After the work of making applesauce this goodie was saved for later.  You may can this, freeze this or just refrigerate if you plan to use it shortly.
Notice the difference shades of the juice?  The jar on the left was made from mostly peels.  The jar on the right was cores, peels and some really small apples that were cut up and tossed in.  Making your jelly this way won't result in a light, clear jelly, but it still taste great.  Knowing that you used things up is worth the darker jelly.

When you are ready to make jelly you measure out your juice into a stock pan.  ( I used 5 cups apple juice and 2 cups pear.) I always make sure that I have everything ready.  In this case my jars, lids, rings and sugar pre-measured.
Turn your burner on high and add the pectin.
Stir to disolve and bring to a rolling boil.  (Be sure that it is still a rolling boil when stirred.)  Then add the sugar.
Bring back to a rolling boil and boil for one minute.

Ladle into jars.
 Process in a water bath canner for five minutes.

Twelve beautiful jar of Apple-Pear Jelly.  You can find all of the information you need for making jelly and jam inside of the Sure Gel box.  

May you day be filled with joy and contentment!
   

8 comments:

  1. what a lovely way to enjoy a rainy day.....enjoy your Jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is MY way of spending a rainy day, love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew the peels and cores could be used to make jelly. Frugal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never knew peels could make jelly. Boy are you good!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Afternoon, Wendi!

    That has got to be some of the prettiest jelly you made! Apple Pear, sounds very good. I might have to try this one out. Yum!

    I think Rainy Day Jelly is a perfect name for it. Nice!

    Have a wonderful week!

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is truly a waste not, want not project.
    I expect it will be delicious on hot biscuits. You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job, Wendi. I hadn't known about that until I read the book From Garbage to Gourmet a couple years ago. I've not tried it, though. We bring our apple peels to a nearby farm and feed them to the horses and goats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM!!! it sounds absolutely delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!