Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Frugal Five

All the above items were FREE.  I received a packet of coupons for a grocery store and two of the coupons were for a free bag of frozen vegetables and a free bag of mini carrots.  Chuck's aunt gave us the watermelon and corn which are both from her garden.  
We had a daytime event to attend.  It included a pitch in lunch but the bad thing was that it was an hour and half from home.  I knew that since the event wouldn't end until around 5 that we would be hungry on the way home.  I packed a cooler for us to eat dinner on the drive home. 
Chuck took a load of steel/aluminum to the recycle center.  The items in the trash cans are steel and aluminum cans.  We rinse them and throw them into the cans until we have enough to take in.  We find that people are more then happy to give us their steel junk.  This load wasn't very heavy and Chuck still came home with around $80. 

This is the top piece of the back of the van that covers the brake light.  Chuck opened the back hatch and it fell off.  He wasn't able to get it back on and after looking at it discovered that one of the brackets that clip it into place had been broken and then hot glued back on.  We assume the previous owner may have broken the piece while trying to change the light bulb for the brake light.  Chuck priced a replacement and it was $280. Ouch!  Anyway, Chuck was able to use a heat gun and mold the broken piece back together.  A couple of the plastic bolts also broke.  They aren't a normal part that the dealership sells, but we know the guy at the parts desk at the dealership.  He thought it was nuts that we would have to buy a replacement part when we only need a couple of bolts so he tracked down some for us for a total cost of $5.  Whew... grateful for friends! 

Uploaded a receipt to Checkout51 and added $0.50 to my account.  

So there you go.  I hope this encourages you to do things to save money.  The old adage that every penny counts seems to apply more and more as I see prices of just about everything increase.  I am not sure I will have five things to post about every week as many times my frugal accomplishment is simply staying home and making do with what I have.  I find it encouraging to hear about others frugal adventures.

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

8 comments:

  1. Hello Wendi!

    I find it very helpful to read about what you all saved too. Like you said, with the rising costs in groceries, it's getting harder to be frugal. I always buy large packages of meat and then break them down into smaller packages, to help with the meat cost. I make almost everything from scratch, so I always have those things on hand. I have a big pantry. so I can stock up on things when they are on sale. Every little bit helps. I am so bummed we didn't do a garden this year. I am missing all my canning accomplishments. I'm hoping the farms out here, will have their boxes of produce marked down soon.

    I hope you have a wonderful week!

    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to read your list, Wendi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did good!
    My husband has also sold scrap metal a few times, including our old stove, dishwasher and hot water heater. I thought he would have to pay to dispose of them but he got paid! Smart men we are married to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good savings, Wendi!

    We have a scrap metal place near us and I know of many who make a little side income by collecting and taking a load there.

    Grocery costs are rising. We did some grocery shopping yesterday and one way I saved was buying an extra whole chicken at 95 cents a pound instead of 3 pounds of ground beef at $3.49 a pound. (I still bought some ground beef just not as much as I had planned!) I'll have to change up the menu some and not have as many ground beef dishes but it is worth it for the savings and will help me stay in budget!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those were some great savings Wendi. It really is getting so hard to stay frugal when everything is getting so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get tips...love it. We have scrap metal when we have any on hand. It does bring a little pocket change. When the girls and I go to town we pack a bottle water a snack or lunch.
    This saves so much money. Hubby faithfully takes his lunch to work.
    We buy in cash..all the coins go in a gallon glass jar for rainy days. Look forward to more savings...thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm just trying to catch up on all my favorite bloggers. How are you? Thanks for sharing your tips...I horrible at being frugal! Hope you can stop by for a visit...I finally posted something!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!