Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Waltons Mountain aka Schuyler, Va

On our way home from the beach we decided to veer off the beaten path for a side trip.  Once we were off of the highway we drove down a curvy country road.


We turned off onto Rockfish River Road and there was the childhood home of Earl Hamner, Jr.  If you have read my blog for a while then I am sure you know that The Waltons is my favorite show.  I love the simplicity and family values the show portray.


You can take a tour of the home but we opted not to because a nasty thunderstorm was rolling in and we were anxious to get back down that curvy road.  The nice man running the Walton"s Mountain Country Store said we could walk up and take some pictures.

The museum is located in a former school.  The actual school that Earl Hamner, Jr attended.


Once we entered we were greeted by the nicest lady.  She sent us on our way and we started by looking at all the memorabilia that lined the walls.  There were pictures of the Hamner family along with the actor who played them.  Newspaper clipping, class picture of those who attended the school and all kinds of goodies related to the Walton show were everywhere.  

Then we moved on to the good stuff.  Different rooms in the school were set up like a room from the Walton's home.


I can envision the family sitting around this room listening to the radio on a winter evening.  I see Grandma and Olivia mending, John and Grandpa relaxing after a day at the mill, John Boy reading a book and the kids playing a board game.  Swoon!


Of course my favorite room was the kitchen.  There was so much detail to take in.  It would be a dream come true to touch and feel the things displayed and have seat at the table.


You couldn't visit without stopping by Ike's to check the mail!


There was a room with several models of the home, general store and Baldwin sisters place.  


Our last stop before we outran the storm was Schuyler Baptist Church.  What a cute a little church!


 
The mountain views were just as I imagined. Amazing!

I almost didn't make this side trip.  Chuck keep telling me that I would regret it if I didn't and he was right.  I am grateful for a husband that knows my heart and encourages me!

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

6 comments:

  1. How neat! The Walton's was one of my favorite shows growing up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are so sweet, they bring back such good memories of watching the Walton's.

    I am glad you had a good vacations and made this side trip too. Your sweet husband had a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun trip. We also like the Waltons. I remember watching that show weekly as I was growing up.

    Have a wonderful evening with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is sooo cool. What a great detour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the Waltons, too. Thanks for the post about this place. I had no idea such a place existed. So glad you got to go. Your husband had a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this brought back memories of our little excursion to Walton's Mountain! :) So glad you were able to go. It was raining the day we went there also ~ I, too, took note of that church!

    Precious family photos, Wendi - love the choice of colors against the sand and sky!

    I hope you are having a wonderful summer!!!

    Blessings to you~
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!