Sunday, March 23, 2014

Gardening... Just the Beginning

I have been itching to get into the garden. With the winter we have had that hasn't been possible. Friday was a beautiful day and we spent most of the afternoon out working in the yard. I mentioned that I was ready to plant some early spring things in the raised beds. Even though it was much cooler on Saturday my wonderful husband worked them up so I could get my hands dirty.  Yeah!

He also took some time to drill some holes for me.  Last year I saw this post  and thought it was a great idea.  The list price was $49... no way!  I picked up a yardstick for $0.25 with hopes of making my own.

 
I also grabbed a dowel out of hubby's scrap wood container and made a stick to make holes for my seeds.  I marked inch marks on the dowel. 
 
 
It works wonderful!
 
 
It was used to plant some peas.
 
 
 
Cabbage plants and two kind of lettuce were also planted.
 
 
As we are still having some cold weather I really wanted to cover this bed with a frost cover.  We didn't have enough left from last year so it was on to plan B.
 
 
Good ol' Mason jars.  Oh how I love them! 
 
Are you itching to get in the dirt?  I would love to hear if you have started and what you are planting.
 
May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

7 comments:

Sherry Miller said...

I'm glad you found me too. I had to move I was having so much trouble with my old site. Love your blog, and my hubby made me a yard stick just like that. Love it..

Lyn @ The Cedar Seasons said...

I will be making the yard stick to measure inches between seeds! What a great (inexpensive) tool! I can't wait for the cooler days to be finished for the season! Happy Planting! Blessings.

LynnMarie said...

What a great idea! How cleaver. Can't work in the garden yet, still have 2 feet of frozen snow/ice on the ground and the ground under it is as hard as cement! Up here we are glad to get in the dirt by May!! Love your garden however and will be looking for more garden tips.

Amber said...

Now that is a great idea! Oh how I am yearning to get out in the dirt too, but we're still having below-freezing temps! It feels like it's never going to warm up here in the northeast! Oh, and I like your little mason jar "green houses." :)

sharon said...

Great idea with the mason jars! Can you share where you bought your spring shirts? Thanks and God bless!

donna www.merryheartcrafts.com said...

Great idea! We are wanting to make more raised beds this year. Hubby made us two last year and we really like them. It is a little too cold here yet but I am hoping next week to get some early seeds in the ground.
Enjoy your day and God bless.

Amy said...

Good Afternoon Wendi!

Thanks so much for the lovely comment on my blog. It's so nice to meet new people through this blogging adventure. I have you added to my sidebar, so now I can stop on over and see how things are going in your neck of the woods.

We haven't really been able to plant yet this year, we have had some hum dinger of dirt storms and cold temps out here in Colorado. We do have our green house ready to plant, but just haven't had the time yet to actually do it. I love this idea with the dowel rod and ruler. I might have to have my oldest son drill some holes for me. :) I love it!

I hope you have a wonderful week.

Blessings,
Amy