Friday, January 03, 2014

Slow Cooker Oatmeal

I enjoy a good breakfast but I admit it is my least favorite meal to prepare. That leads to eating cereal more often then I should. I am trying to eat better and I know that starting with a healthy, hearty breakfast is a great start. I do not like any type of instant oatmeal. The kids gobble it up but I don't like the texture. My previous slow cooker oatmeal was good. I just didn't love it so I didn't make it as often as I should have.


I have been playing with different recipes and finally found one that I love. 

8 1/2 cups water
2 cups steel cut oats
1 3/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Pour all of the ingredients into a butter greased crock pot or use a liner.  Mix together and cook for 8 to 10 hours on low.  When I get up I turn it onto warm and then stir before serving.  At that point you can add any fruit, nuts or additional sweetener if needed. 

This makes a huge batch.  Next time I will cut in in half and will still have plenty for the week.  Enjoy!

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

7 comments:

Mrs. C (Paula) said...

I don't know why I've never tried cooking oatmeal in a crock pot. Just got a new one, so I will definitely be giving this recipe a try.

Leslie said...

This is such a great idea! I bet that you wake to the delicious smell of it cooking.

Breahn Royal said...

Mmmm.... that sounds SO good, and I bet the house smells GREAT when yall wake up!!
♥♥♥

angie said...

I don't have steel cut oats. Do you think this would work with old fashioned oats?

Simply Farmhouse said...

mm I will have to try this...thank you for sharing.

donna www.merryheartcrafts.com said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. It sounds good. Enjoy your day and God bless.

*carrie* said...

Thanks for this recipe, Wendi. I've been tinkering with crockpot oatmeal recipes the last couple years, and feel the same way you do. I will definitely try this soon!