Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Slow and Cozy

The high for Monday was -11 with wind chills as low at -43. Brrr.... a nice day to stay snug and warm inside.   It was also a great day to heat up the house by working in the kitchen.  Megan helped me make bread to go with dinner.
 
 
I pulled the turkey carcass from Thanksgiving and Christmas out of the freezer the day before to make stock.  Boy does it make a home smell good!
 
 
Our neighbor is no longer able to cook due to the arthritis in her hands (causes them to really shake) and lives off of frozen dinners.  Yuck!  I sent over some beef stew, bread and a couple cookies I had left.  Now, I don't share that to get a pat on the back but to encourage you to do something like this for someone you know.  A simple gesture that I know means the world to our neighbor.
 
 
We bundled up and stepped outside for a moment to try throwing boiling water into the air.
 
 
It was neat to watch it dissipate into a cloud.   We hurried back into the warmth and I helped Megan with a knitting kit she received for Christmas. 
 
 
No cozy day would be complete without playing games.  
 

There was also reading, snuggling under the electric blanket and there just might have been a nap squeezed it. :)  School is cancelled again and it looks like Chuck will be home another day.  As our street hasn't been plowed and we watched a van get stuck this morning and there is still a pick up truck stuck in the street.  I can't say I am upset about having my family home for another cozy day. 

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

9 comments:

  1. It is 3 degrees in Baltimore this morning.. I am dreading leaving the house.
    I love Days like that, when you are nesting and hanging our with your family... those days could last forever.
    I bet that your neighbor really appreciated the soup!
    Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are really cold. We are -5 with wind chills of -25. That is plenty cold enough for me. I know what you mean though about snuggle in days. I love them too. Stay warm and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those kind of days...slow and cozy. So sweet of you to take food to your neighbor. Stay Warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had some of the same kind of cold here in N Ky but I think you got more snow than we did. We did the boiling-water-in-the-air this morning and added blue food coloring to it, cool! We also blew bubbles to see if they would freeze (Some did, the ones that landed on the shrub)and we wet a t-shirt with warm water and put it outside to see how long it would take to freeze. It froze in just under 4.5 minutes and was standing up all on its own! Can't get out to do anything so we have to create fun at home! Now to the kitchen to bake banana bread, oatmeal cookies were made last night. Isn't it wonderful to have a well-stocked freezer and pantry when nasty weather hits? Stay warm!!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Temp was -3* when the shirt froze! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 6 this morning with wind chill of -11! Welcome to Global Warming! So glad you stayed in and stayed warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a cozy day and lots of fun! It was in the single digits here this morning and school was cancelled. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you all can be happy and content when snow bound. I can too but so many people get cabin fever and just about go bonkers, silly people!

    it is cold here too but our roads are fine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a delightful day! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!