Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Overnight Biscuits

Sunday there was a luncheon after church with a brunch theme.  I don't know about you but time seems to be lacking on Sunday mornings.  I decided to take in biscuits and gravy.  I really didn't want to get up at the crack of dawn to make biscuits so I searched for a dough I could make the night before. 
 

Sift 4 cups self rising flour and 2 Tbs sugar
Cut in 2/3 cup shortening until it resembles cornmeal
With a fork mix in 2 cups buttermilk
Knead for 20 minutes. 
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.  The next morning roll the dough to 1 in thickness.  Place biscuits 1 in apart on a ungreased cookie sheet and let proof for 5 minutes.  Bake at 425* for 12-14 minutes.  Brush with butter when done. 

My family declared this recipe a keeper. 

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds great! Sunday mornings are rushed here as well so I think this is a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Your kitchen looks wonderful! Want to come and do mine? (lol) Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good looking biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this, Wendi. If you can believe it, I don't think I've ever made homemade biscuits! But it's been on my mind, because Eric mentioned having a craving for biscuits and sausage gravy. I'm totally going to try these.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!