Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pickled Green Tomatoes

The past couple of weeks we have been having regular frost and even a night of snow showers (gasp!).  Before the first frost I went out to clear out the garden.  The only thing left were tons of green tomatoes.  Not wanting anything to go to waste I picked them all.  After sitting in the garage for almost week I decided to make pickled green tomatoes.
 

You slice 4 lbs of green tomatoes.  Add  4 onions and 1/4 cup of salt.  Refrigerate over night. 
 
 
The next day rinse well and add 4 chopped green peppers.  Make a spice packet of 1/2 tsp celery seed, 1/2 tsp mustand seed, 1 tbs whole allspice and 1 tbs whole cloves.   Combine it all in a crock pot. 


Add 1 lb of sugar and 1 quart of vinegar.  Cook on low for 2 hours.  Ladle into jars and process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes. 


I ended up with 5 pints.  Not only did I use up the remainder of my garden produce but I now have a Christmas gift for my father-in-law.  He loves receiving home canned food! 

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!
 

7 comments:

  1. I just picked my green tomatoes and have a bag from the children's garden at work too. Was wondering what to do with them--this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I will have to remember this for next year. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, I need to do this. I'm saving the recipe right now :)

    Thank you for sharing Wendi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! That us a great gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents make a pepper relish that uses green tomatoes. It is great on eggs, ham, etc. Good use of your resources!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tis is a great way to finish up on them. Sounds very good I will have to try this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Muy bueno!!!! saludos desde Argentina!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!