Tuesday, September 10, 2013

When Things Don't Go As Planned...

I was having one of those days.  I was overly tired as we stayed out late the night before with our home group.  Once home I couldn't fall asleep and then I was wide awake early the next morning.  It was decided that it would be a great night for delivery.  The pizza was ordered and I knew I needed a little pick me up.  Instead of grabbing some paper plates and rushing through dinner I decided to go the extra mile.


A quilt was thrown over the outside table and real plates were brought out.  Candles were lit, flowers were moved to the table.   The pizza was even transferred to a pizza pan instead of the box.  I was ready to have a nice relaxing meal with my family.  To come away from it feeling a bit refreshed.




Then the bee arrived.  It arrived and decided to stay.  Megan was about ready to freak out!  She ended up jumping up and running inside.  The flyswatter was brought out and we tried to get that little guy.  No luck!  After a few minutes of looking like crazy people swatting at a bee I blew out the candles and we retreated inside. 


I will admit at this moment I was low.  The peace, beauty and refreshment I so desired was not to be.  I sat at the kitchen table on the verse of tears. (Remember I have been having one of those days.)  I looked at Megan and then thought.... Is this a test?  She is watching me, learning from me by how I react.  I really wanted to cry and say how unfair it was.  I just wanted a little peace.  A little beauty.  A little recharge.  I didn't say any of those things.   Do I want Megan to mask or hide her emotions?  Of course not.  I do, however, want her to handle her emotions.  Not to stamp her foot like a spoiled brat when things don't go as planned.  There are always going to be things, many things, that fall short of our expectations. 


I took a deep breath, said a prayer or two and put a smile on my face.  I picked up the pizza pan and offered my family another slice.  What could have been tears and complete disappointment for me turned out just fine.  We laughed... we teased... we enjoyed pizza pie and I grew.   

Faith is often strengthened right at the place of disappointment. ~ Rodney McBride
 
May you day be filled with joy and contentment!

10 comments:

  1. This is so encouraging and true to real life! And don't you find how the entire family is happier when mother smiles jokes and teases? Love the effect it has and it cheers me up to! With gods help "fake it till you make it"- it really works... And it's not utruthful but simply a tool to get you to be nice and loving and thankful.
    Hope your day goes well friend! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post!! So true for all of us. Our children watch us constantly to see how we handle situations. I am glad you chose the way you did. I love your pictures. The quilt is beautiful on the table and you have given me a great idea with the candle. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand this post, Wendi. I've been there many times myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really sweet post, Wendi. Now every time you see another bee, you will remember this evening.
    Your table was just beautiful too.

    I hope you get some rest and feel recharged soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Wendi. We all have those moments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Real life at its best. Proof that when the living gets tough, the tough pray and press on. What a wonderful example you are to your family, and to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being there...thank you for posting. Blessing to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we all have those moments, some days are good and then some days we just feel overwhelmed and tired.

    Love the quilt and the candles and the little wagon, what a sweet simple but beautiful tablescape :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally understand! Your table looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great words Wendi...we've all felt these moments and can relate. I'd say you handled it very well! created wonderful memories and can look back one day and laugh about the bee!;-) Have a lovely week!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!