Thursday, June 20, 2013

Changes

At the beginning of the year we received a notice from the county about rezoning some property near us.  One of the properties is at the end of our dead end street and the other was at the back of our property.  To make a long story short we found out that the owner of these properties was planning to build apartments.  Sigh.  We (all the neighbors) were able to fight and block the rezoning of the property on our street.  The property behind up was several acres of vacant property.  All the county could see is the dollar signs of having this property developed. 

This is our backyard before development began.  Beautiful, lush, secluded. 





My oasis.  I felt like I was in the country instead of in the busy suburbs. 

Once they started clearing the land we knew that what was said to us and the county about keeping the mature trees was not to be.  I have watched tree after tree be removed all week. 





One of the workers stopped to talk with us.  He said that they have orders to remove all trees on their property.  It surprised him that he had an order to remove trees so close to our property line.  It didn't surprise him when we said we were told the mature trees would stay.  Apparently he hears that often. 

At first it made me sick to watch all of this taking place.  Hundred year old trees gone in a matter of minutes in the name of progress.  I am trying to embrace the change.  It isn't easy.  I will take it as it comes and when the dust settles we will decide what we want to do. 




We are more fortunate then others as there are a few mature trees on our property behind the fence.  Many of our neighbors now have nothing at the back of their property.  We are little more bare as of today as they keep coming and removing any remaining brush on their side. 

In the mean time the kids are loving it.  It is like having Bob the Builder in the backyard. 







May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

12 comments:

  1. Ugh! I cannot imagine how saddening (& maddening) this must be for you guys. Praying that you will figure something out and have peace in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the kids are so cute to be loving it! ha...my kids were that way too.

    Tsk! We have a road behind our house, and a couple decades ago they expanded the road from 2 lanes to 4. I went into the hospital one day to deliver one of my kids, and came home to no trees lining our yard! Even though the road is now a little further away from the back of our property...they had to remove all the trees! But, after a decade, they all grew back! Now my yard is very shady. And if they didn't, I would plant veggie gardens, now I would like the sun. (They cut them down but didn't bulldoze).

    If I were you, I'd get some leyland's cypress trees or something like that and plant them across the back. They are fast growing and will block out anything! You could also take advantage of the sun and plant fruit trees. Good luck! It is sad, as your yard was so beautiful. Don't they know that trees are nice to have!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my. I know this has to be a bad feeling. Hope things work out for the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a bummer! I bet the kids loved all the action--we are big fans of trucks and machinery around here!

    Our neighborhood is more rural feeling too with woods, we are county with city all around us--just recently a Ross distribution center was built behind the neighborhood and I believe something else is being built now.They had to clear out the trees so now we've seen a lot more deer and wildlife in our neighborhood because of the animals having to go somewhere!Long time residents say it's not as quiet as it used to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, that would upset me. I can't believe they are removing all those beautiful trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. UGH! That stinks. Big time. I would be so upset.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sad for you! :( I know that this must hurt your heart and I also know that you will make the best of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate in some ways, Wendi. You may recall me mentioning that there is an ongoing construction site across the street from us. It is noisy (sometimes starts before 6 a.m.!!!), dusty, and tons of truck traffic. We are so ready for the building process to be over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about all this. I certainly hope it doesn't get too bad for you all. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so hard to see that happen. When we bought our land, there were only 2 trees on it. We probably have 140 or more trees now. We sure enjoy all the bird life and activity because of the trees.

    Have a wonderful evening with your family.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sad to see the trees go I'm sure, but I so admire your positive attitude about it all!

    We are deciding what to do with some trees in our backyard that are super duper tall and really close to the house. We love them but are also a bit squeemish with the winds that come through.

    Have a lovely summer! Your backyard is beautiful.

    Blessings,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Wendi, how heartbreaking! So sad to hear and see this...just can't trust developers...One day there will be nothing left to enjoy in nature, so sad. Thinking of you and your neighbors. Hugs!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!