Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Time in the Garden

The days are warming up and that means I am spending most of my time outside. It feels great but boy does it wear me out!   The garden was tilled yesterday and then planted today.  As rain is in the forecast for the next five days or so I was in a hurry to get it in. 
 
 
I did most of planting while Megan was as school.  I did save her a row of green beans to plant.  This satisfied her gardening bug at least for the moment. 


I put in five rows of green beans, ten tomato plants, two zucchini, one bell pepper and six pickling cucumbers.  I also removed the frost covers from the raised beds.  Check out those cabbage!


Using frost covers is the best thing!  I am thrilled with the results. 

It is very satisfying to put food on the table that is from your own garden.  If you think you can't do this I want to encourage you to give it a try.  Just growing one thing on your own.  Once you taste the freshness there will be no going back. 


Have you ever seen your child this excited about a store bought bag of lettuce?  

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Working outside is tiring, but so rewarding. I love going out to the garden and getting things for supper.

Have a wonderful day.

~Cheryl

LynnMarie said...

WOW! I'm so impressed that you have plants to eat already. We are still having frost at night here. We may see 70's today. Love how you have so many things growning.

Jill said...

Nothing compares to fresh,delicious food straight from the garden. Enjoy!

Blessings,
Jill

*carrie* said...

Nice. Eric just planted this week--our winter lasted a long time!

donna www.merryheartcrafts.com said...

I'm glad you have your garden in. We tilled the lower garden yesterday but we got rained out before we got anything planted. Hopefully, this week though. Enjoy your day and God bless.