Monday, May 20, 2013

Summer Cooking

Just a few weeks ago it felt like the cold would never go. Now it feels as if summer has arrived. The sunshine and warm weather beckon the kids and I outside. All of the outside time has left me scrambling for dinner a few times.

Even with menu planning on way too many occasions I was caught at 4:30 or so without dinner started. The temptation to run out and grab a quick burger is not something that can happen often. As we all know it is a killer on the budget!

My solution is to do something I am calling summer cooking. On Monday I look at my monthly menu and decide what we are eating Monday - Friday. I then use nap time on Monday to prepare the main events for the week.

Here is a peek at this week.

Monday: Grilled Pork Chops


Grilling is something we will be doing more often to prevent heating up the house.  Chuck has a pitch in later this week.  He is taking in a sausage cheese dip.  While I was already using the grill I went ahead and browned the sausage.  I not only use the grill for grilling in the summer I will also use it with a cast iron skillet for general cooking. 



Tuesday: Spaghetti


One for this week and one for the freezer. It is a great time saver to pull it out to thaw and heat up.

Wednesday:  Hamburgers


Again using the grill.

Thursday:  Roasted Chicken
 

I purchased this from Sams. As I was cutting the meat off the bone I put the small bits in a container to turn into chicken salad. That will make a quick, cool lunch.

Friday:  Meatloaf

 
Baked late in the evening or early in the morning.  I will slice it before re-heating. 
 
Each day before we headout for afternoon play I will get my side dishes ready to go.  My hope is that by doing this I can avoid some stress in the early evening.  It gets crazy with Chuck coming home and the kids leaving. 
 
The great thing is that if plans change I can move a menu item to the weekend or throw it in the freezer for later use. 
 
May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

8 comments:

  1. I have been making freezer meals too! I love the ease of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand the craziness around dinner time with kids leaving,etc. We also have evening activities several nights a week so we need to eat pretty quickly after the kids leave to be able to do what we need to do on time.

    I've been doing more cook once; eat twice meals which cut down on cooking time and dishes! Also, I'm planning to really limit the oven use this summer and instead use the crockpot, grill and microwave as much as possible. It will keep the house cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds good. I need to do some freezer meals.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love grill cooking. Unfortunately, our grill is in pretty bad shape. I still cook on it but I think it is time for a new one. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea. I too am guilty of running out of time and then just picking up some fast food. Now that summer break is here, I am trying to cook at home more. Love your ideas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously now I want some grilled chicken. sounds yummy:> Great idea for skipping out on the fast food. Love it!

    Danielle @ Blissful & Domestic
    www.blissfulanddomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum! I need to do more freezing for those days when I am rushing around trying to come up with dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your spaghetti sauce looks so good! I made meatloaf tonight for supper. I had a tiny piece of steak that was over-expensive and I wanted to stretch it out so I used my grinder to make it into hamburger and that is how it ended up...I think meatloaf with ketchup on top is the best!

    When we were younger and didn't use our air conditioner as much (having the house payments seem higher back then, not we are paid off) my husband used to request non-hot meals!

    Yes the straw worked out well...until someone goes into the freezer and uses part of the item and there goes the seal!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!