Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Playing in the Dirt

On Saturday the sun was shinning and the warmth of spring was trying to make an appearance.   After lunch we headed out so Chuck could put in the raised bed that my dad built for Megan.


While he worked on that Megan and I readied a bed for some cool weather plants. 


The first in the ground was butter crisp lettuce. 


As we have been experiencing blow normal temperatures with freezing nights I knew that I had to protect my new plants.  Have you seen the Homestead Blessings Gardening DVD?  It shows a great way to cover your early plants with a frost cover.  The frost covers just so happened to be buy one get one free at the hardware store a few weeks ago. 

After the bed was planted the first step was to ad re bar to hold the support for the frost cover. 


For the support I needed something that was flexible enough to bend.  After looking at several options in the plumbing area I settled on a roll of pex tubing. 


The pipe slides over the re bar and what my mom calls the covered wagon is formed. 


While Chuck and I worked at filling soil in our new bed Megan played in the dirt with her cars.  She had a blast!


Finally the new bed was full and ready for planting.  A few cabbage plants were added to this bed. 


Then it was time to cover up my new babies.  The great thing about these covers is that rain and sun are able to come through the covers.  That means that until the threat of frost is over I won't have to worry about removing these as the sun warms and adding them back on before sunset. 


 
I was so happy to spend some time playing in the dirt!

 May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

7 comments:

  1. Looks great! The frost covers are like little greenhouses! That's a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it :) And I have all the Homestead Blessings DVD's, love the West Ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gardens are a bit like us...soaking in the spring sun, but not yet ready to shed our layers. Harvesting your lettuce will make these extra steps all the worthwhile. I have been thinking about switching to homemade salad dressing. Do you have a favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beds look really nice. We have been playing a bit in the dirt ourselves. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow those look great! Love it and love how nice it looks with the covers on or off! Nice job. Up here the dirt is still frozen so no diging just yet. But most of the snow is gone finally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Enjoy some gardening time for me too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever idea and it looks like you had fun.
    We are still in the snow,rain,temps way below freezing.
    I lost my tulips that had poked up when we had those warm days.
    Enjoy your warmth.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!