Wednesday, February 20, 2013

By Request.... My Chili Recipe

Let me start by saying that I know some of you are going to say ... "that's not chili!"  ... and I am okay with that.  My own mother has even said it!  We like simple fare around here. 



I start by browning ground beef, about a half pound.  I know for many that isn't enough meat, but like Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life  says "meat is the condiment these days."  At today's prices I tend to agree.  Anyway, I add salt, pepper and chili powder to the beef as I am browning it.


After I drain the beef I add a quart of my home canned tomato juice.  Then add a quart of water.  I usually add more chili powder at this time. 


I heat this over medium high heat until it cooks down to about half of what it originally was. (At this point I would also add a can of beans if it were just for me. Chuck doesn't like beans so they stay out. )



I hope you can see by the picture the difference in color.  Cooking this down thickens it just a little and helps the flavors to blend.  I then turn this down to a simmer, add another quart of water and more chili powder.   I am generally to this point about lunch time.  For the rest of the afternoon I let it simmer and add additional water if needed.  The longer this simmers the better the flavor. 


An hour before dinner I will bring this back to a boil and add 2 cups of elbow macaroni.  It is very important that you stir often to keep the noodles from sticking!  Once tender I sometimes need to add a little more water and chili powder (I never measure this.  I season to taste.)  It really depends on how much liquid you like in your chili.  I then keep it warm until serving.


I like to serve this with warm cornbread.



Enjoy!

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

6 comments:

  1. Love chili with cornbread. There's no better way to enjoy it! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM and Ican use the low carb pasta so thak you for a recipe that I can use at home.
    I see that a snow storm is coming your way - my prayer sare with you all, it looks really nasty. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love me some chili and honey cornbread! Now I'm hungry! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh I'm hungry now. I love simple meals like that, they're often the favorites around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmmmm.....thank you SO MUCH for doing this. :-) Now I'm going to need to google to learn how to can my own tomato juice, because I bet the store bought doesn't render the same flavor. Oh Wendy, you're always creating new homemaking jobs for me! Ha! I am for sure putting this on our dinner rotation this weekend. The boys in my house will LOVE it. It just so happens that I have cornbread makings in my pantry today. Perfect! Thanks again for hearing the request and taking time to do a tutorial...with pictures no less!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!