Monday, January 21, 2013

What If?

This afternoon I attended a showing for a lady I lived across the street from as a child.  Sarah was actually my first babysitter and I later watched her oldest son.  We had to wait in line for over two hours to get into the viewing room.  That says a lot about the life she lived. 

As I approached the family I noticed that they had the following quote under one of her pictures. 

Today I wondered what the purpose of my life is.  Then God made me realize my purpose is "you."
 
I have been thinking about this all evening.  How many times have I wondered this exact thing?  How many times have I thought that there has to be more to my life?  Something bigger, something with more meaning.
 
This made me wonder what if?  What if my purpose is for the "you" that happens to be in my life today.  My husband, daughter, family, friends and maybe even the stranger at the grocery store. 
 
I, like many of you,  see people going on mission trips, raising huge sums of money for charity and making a big impact.  I think sometimes we get so caught up in the big that we forget that it is really the little, everyday things that can have just as much, or maybe more, of an impact.  It is quite possible that the purpose is to live my life in such a way that I leave a positive impact on whoever the "you" in my current life happens to be. 
  

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

3 comments:

  1. I agree, Wendi. That was something I discovered shortly after becoming a mother. I was always highly active in my church and other ministry activities, but after having a baby a lot of that changed. I remember being kind of envious that my husband could continue to do things while I sat with the babies. I'm really over that now. God has spoken the importance of my job as a mohter over and over again. And I'm still highly active in our church, just in different ways. And now that my kids are getting bigger, more of the things I used to do are becoming more feasible. But we can never get those years back. This post was a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great reminder about this life, in fact we have many and over the years, they change. We need to allow time in our lives to be ready to lend a hand to anyone but remember,our families may be young and we need to care for them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful, true post. I totally agree with you. What greater purpose than the "you's" we come in contact with. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!