Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Use It Up!

One of the things that drives me crazy about these tubes of lipstick and concealer is the waste. As hard has I try I can not get all of it out of there.  At almost $8.00  (regular price) a tube  I can't afford to waste any of it. 


In order to use it up I have Chuck to cut the bottle in half when I can't reach any more of the product.  


He use to make the statement that there wasn't much left.  Then I told him the cost of this little tube and that this little bit would last me two weeks or more.  Now he happily cuts those tubes in half!

I could suggest if you do this that you store it a bag because some of the product will sometimes leak out. 

I am going to try to reduce my spending as much as I can this year.  As Chuck works for a defense contractor things are a little uncertain.  I would love to hear your tips for using things up. 

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

7 comments:

Rhonda said...

I use that same kind of lipstick - good tip!

I can only imagine how uneasy you all must feel about the fiscal cliff. I used to think those people in Washington really cared about us, but now I think they only care about making their points. So frustrating!

Nancy said...

I am very frugal with everything as I feel wastefulness is a sin. Getting down to the very basics, When finished with meals, whatever water is left in the drinking glasses either gets poured on the plants or into the dog bowl and NOT down the drain.

Mary Ann said...

I'm known to cut open toothpaste tubes and anything else like that. Salt containers, powdered milk boxes often have a bit left inside that won't pour out of the spout so I'll cut those suckers right open to get it all out! The boxes of rice cereal for babies are the same way.

Dish soap, shampoo, body wash and liquid laundry soap-- I'll turn them upside down and get more out that way; then add a little water to use it all!

angie said...

Such a wise steward of your resources. I think it is a good idea for all, no matter whether we need to financially do so or not. I save to go containers from restaurants if they have only contained a sandwich, etc. They are easily wiped out and can carry my husband's lunch to work.

LynnMarie said...

Nice tip so thank you for sharing. I add water to all our shampoo and cream rinse to make it last longer.

*carrie* said...

I do this with lotion. I agree about wasting, and I love that saving money is a natural byproduct of using things up all the way.

Debra said...

Great idea, Wendie. There really is quite a bit left in there. I hate waste, too. I do many of the things others have mentioned here. I also reuse sandwich bags and tin foil - as long as they're not too yucky.

We are really tightening our belts too. My husband has a small business and things still seem really uncertain to me and it's time to get serious about controlling the spending around here. I think a lot of people are feeling that way this year.