Monday, January 14, 2013

Pinned It, Made It: Drawer Organizers

As I continue to whip my home into shape I have found some great ideas on Pinterest. I recently saw this idea and the wheels began to turn. For my husband this is very scary! :) This picture is from Pinterest.

This is my version.

 
This is what I started with.  I can't believe I am even showing this.  I would clean this drawer out then it would almost always end up just like this within a couple of months. 
 
 
The first thing I did was pull everything out.  (Ignore my felt poinsettias.  The one thing I missed when putting Christmas away.) 
 
 
I then measured and cut out a piece of brown paper.  I put it into the drawer to make sure that I had measured correctly. 
 
 
Once I knew I had the paper the correct size I started to play with arrangement.
 
 
 
 
Once I had things where I wanted them I drew lines to know where the dividers would go.
 
 
This is the part where I failed to take any pictures.  Instead of cereal boxes I used cardboard.  Chuck happens to work in the packaging and shipping department so I have an unlimited supply of scrap cardboard. 
 
I cut cardboard to surround the entire drawer and then began to cut out the dividing pieces.  I wrapped them in scrapbook paper.  You could certainly leave them plain to be more cost effective.  I then put all of my dividers in and put the items back in the drawer before anything was glued.  Good thing since I decided to move the back where the thermometers went to the front.  I then just shifted everything back a little.  I also realized that it was going to be difficult to get the bottle opener out.  I added an additional piece of cardboard to that area to raise it up.  Once all of this was done the hot glue gun got a work out. 
 
 
Now I know that some of you are thinking that there is no way this is everything that you saw on the counter.  You are right.  I am doing some rearranging and will be moving some things to another drawer.  I am actually so happy with the way this turned out that I am going to do all the drawers.  Once they are done I will do another update. 
 
Please stop by and visit Tammy for some great ideas. 
 

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

8 comments:

  1. Wow. That's a really great idea! Way to go in following through with a pin! I pin lots of things but rarely follow through with any of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! My junk drawer needs some help... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice makeover! We all have drawers/closets/areas that we are embarrassed about! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great, Wendi! I have two junk drawers in my kitchen that end up the same way inevitably! I need to copy your idea. How long did it take you to do this project?

    Yours looks great!

    Thanks for participating in Pinned it, Made it! Monday!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy,

    It took about 3 hours. The longest part was wrapping the cardboard with scrapbook paper. If you skipped that part it would go really fast. Let me know if you do this!

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cleaver and I'm glad you answer the burning question about how long it all took because that was my first thought. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!