Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mending

I have always heard "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" and it seems that many more people are finding this a way of life.  The price of things keeps climbing and I am finding the quality declining.  That means things need more repair and wear out much faster.  Mending is one of those lost arts that is making a come back. 

These boots were a Christmas present and lost a button that I sewed back on.  I am now kicking myself that I didn't take the time to reinforce the other button. 

 
It came off a couple days later and wasn't recovered.   A trip to the fabric store and $1.60 later these are good as new!  Well, actually better as I know these buttons will still be on in a month. :)
 
 
 
Towels are another item that I find the quality lacking.  I had two towels where the hem came unraveled.
 
 
I know many who would have tossed these and purchased new towels.  I purchased a spool of thread to match and about ten minutes at the machine and these were back in business.
 
 
 
 
I absolutely love capri pants!  I had two pair that I had wore to the point that the knees became so thin they ended up tearing. 
 
 
They are so comfortable that I wasn't happy about parting with them.  Then I thought why not cut them off and make shorts.
 


Perfect for wearing around the house! 

I would love to hear if you mend.    If so how far do you go... do you darn socks?  Check back tomorrow and see what I did with the material cut off of the pants.

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

10 comments:

LynnMarie said...

Yes I mend. I taught myself to sew when our kids were little. I use extra material for baby quilts, kitchen towels, and dog coats. Well done and a great way to save some money.

Mary Ann said...

Great job! I do the same thing with towels and pillowcases when the hems come loose.

I haven't done any darning. So often when we have holes in our socks, the entire bottom is worn pretty thin.

Knees always are the first to go in my pants too-maybe because I am on the floor with the littles?!?

donna www.merryheartcrafts.com said...

Great job! You are doing good making things last. We do the same thing here. Keep up the good work. God bless.

angie said...

I am willing to mend to extend the life of a product. I don't mend the hems of towels, nor do I get rid of them. It doesn't bother me if they are a bit tattered around the edges. I keep 2-4 nice towels for when we have guests. I am amazed at how quickly others will throw something away, or not alert the mfr when a new item does not live up to expectations.

Echoes From the Hill said...

In my experience, if a towel hem is going to unravel, it will do so after the first washing. I always keep my receipts in an envelope in my purse, dated for the month. If a new towel unravels, I have the receipt handy, and it goes back to the store.

I do mend, sew buttons back on, and try to make things last, but I think you are doing better than I!
nancyr

*carrie* said...

I am terrible at sewing, but I definitely do mending. Nathan's winter gloves were coming apart at some seams, so I took care of those this weekend. I just noticed this morning that Natalie's favorite leggings have a small hole in the knee, so I need to tend to those before it gets any bigger!

Rhonda said...

you are so right about poor quality towels. We could use some new ones but I am reluctant to buy any because the last several ones we bought had to be repaired soon after they were used a few times too.

Sandra said...

I mend my towels as well, and I do darn socks lol

I learned with my greatgrandmother and in those days you didn't just throw something out because it tore, you fixed it and moved on.

Lucy said...

I do darn socks - and having just looked at my clothing budget for the family this year I need to get to work on my mending pile because I won't be replacing much!

Laura Lane said...

I'll be doing some mending later today. It's a real money saver.

Laura
Harvest Lane Cottage