Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Crock Pot Oatmeal

With our chilly mornings it is nice to have something warm for breakfast. I feed the kids instant oatmeal but personally I don't like it. It doesn't have the texture of old fashioned cooked oatmeal. I ran across a recipe for oatmeal in the crock pot and decided to give it a whirl.
 
 
1 cup steel cut oats
4 cups water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 TBS butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
 
Mix it all together and cook over night on low for 8 hours.
 
 
 
Before serving I added a dash of milk to each bowl and topped with a touch of brown sugar. The littles ate their oatmeal this way and for myself I added some raisins. 
 
 
This little guy thought it was yummy and so did I!
 
May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

5 comments:

LynnMarie said...

I've made oatmeal in the crockpot for years. So much better than that instant stuff and you don't have to cook it fresh, plus the house smells devine! Glad you liked it.

*carrie* said...

We had oatmeal this morning. Unfortunately, Nathan's decided he doesn't like it anymore. =(

I just put together the dry ingredients for crockpot oatmeal for some neighbors who lost a loved one. It's easy and quick for me to put together, and for them to cook and have a breakfast for a crowd with minimal effort.

donna www.merryheartcrafts.com said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing it. I love steel cut oats. I will have to give this recipe a try. God bless.

angie said...

I have oatmeal and apples in the crock pot for the first time tonight. However, the only type of oats I had on hand was instant. Time will tell how that works cooked overnight. Glad your boys enjoyed it.

angie said...

I have oatmeal and apples in the crock pot for the first time tonight. However, the only type of oats I had on hand was instant. Time will tell how that works cooked overnight. Glad your boys enjoyed it.